Ga-10 Guide Arm Question

kiwijw, it has nothing to do with being a pussy or not. What it is about is about is companies that take it for granted that they can produce products with little consideration for the well being of their consumers, confident that whatever ergonomic nightmare they dish up will be gratefully accepted because of the technological advance achieved. With a bit more thought a machine that weighed a lot less could have been achieved, avoiding the need to be trussed up with leads, cables, and 'cripple stick'. If you are happy to look like a Christmas turkey while detecting, then good for you. It's not everyone's idea of detecting bliss.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

bloody minelab harness

Just found it too hot and cumbersome.  It certainly works to alleviate the weight but not my cup of tea  :wink:

I can see that you like white and Reg likes black. I think I’m settling on a shade of grey :laugh::laugh:  If we get enough opinions we could end up with about 50 shades I reckon :ph34r:

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

How is your shoulder & elbow? I can't believe you don't use it. You will pay the price...of that I am certain. And to think you got a couple of likes as well. I am flabbergasted. One of them swings a QED because of its lightness & I believe he has paid the price due to not using a harness or bungy. Many of the older detector operators have RSI related problems for the same reason. I have heard all too often these people say that harnesses,  bungie's & swing arms are for pussies. If that is the case I would rather be a pussy with healthy shoulders & elbows when I get into older age, which isn't far away.  To me....prevention is better than cure as there is no real cure once you are buggered. I got my Zed because the guy who had it has stuffed shoulders & elbows from many years of swinging Minelab PI's with no harness, bungy & swing arm. He got the Zed over in WA & paid it off in two weeks. Came back to NZ in our steep hilly country & pain killers were not doing it for him any more. So he sold it to me & went back to his 4500. I wouldn't have thought that would have been much better. Wonder if he now uses the harness & bungy. Probably too little too late.

JW :smile:

Wow.

I don’t use the harness. It’s new in the bag also. I bungee to my rucksack strap. I set my bungee so my detector floats. I push the it back and forth and what little weight there is left rides on the ground. I hunt full days and at most my shoulder gets a little sore. Probably get between 400 - 500 hours per year detecting. I do think when using the GPZ 19 for a week last summer it was a bit much, and the hip stick would have been a good idea to have taken the load off my shoulder.

I just turned 60 and appear to be doing just fine. But thanks for your concern.

F386C6F0-5B07-4E79-8167-385772937186.jpeg

F94076EA-4034-4AAD-A1FB-25FC6A7D2C5C.jpeg

• Like 2

I had thought of doing the same Steve - just off a ring on the backpack strap. I assumed it would sort of pull the back pack to one side though and be uncomfortable. Not the case?  

60 years young Steve :cool:

• Like 1

The rucksack pulls to the side a little as can kind of be seen in the photo, but not much. The interconnection between the two straps alleviates most of that as does a good fit. My arm is bearing some of the load in uneven ground. I sometimes hook the thumb of my right hand in the right strap and pull a bit in the other direction. But all in all that little hydro pack has served me very well the last three years. I bought a second one just to make sure I have another when the first gives out.

I am getting older with the aches and pains that come with age. Pulled a leg muscle last year overextending on a climb into a canyon. So I am looking for lighter detectors. I fully agree that people should look after themselves as best they can. I do that by roaming the hills with my detector instead of sitting on a couch with a beer in my hand. I may wear my body out detecting but better that than letting it go to hell doing nothing.

My Nugget Detecting Kit

steves-metal-detecting-rucksack.jpg

steves-metal-detecting-kit.jpg

steves-metal-detecting-kit-bungee-detail.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well Steve , I've got a few years on you and the Kiwi, but I can still put in a good day despite the odd ache and pain.

A cannibal complained to his friend how he had vomited all night after eating a missionary. Just proves, 'you can't keep a good man down'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kiwijw said:

How is your shoulder & elbow? I can't believe you don't use it. You will pay the price...of that I am certain. And to think you got a couple of likes as well. I am flabbergasted. One of them swings a QED because of its lightness & I believe he has paid the price due to not using a harness or bungy. Many of the older detector operators have RSI related problems for the same reason. I have heard all too often these people say that harnesses,  bungie's & swing arms are for pussies. If that is the case I would rather be a pussy with healthy shoulders & elbows when I get into older age, which isn't far away.  To me....prevention is better than cure as there is no real cure once you are buggered. I got my Zed because the guy who had it has stuffed shoulders & elbows from many years of swinging Minelab PI's with no harness, bungy & swing arm. He got the Zed over in WA & paid it off in two weeks. Came back to NZ in our steep hilly country & pain killers were not doing it for him any more. So he sold it to me & went back to his 4500. I wouldn't have thought that would have been much better. Wonder if he now uses the harness & bungy. Probably too little too late.

JW :smile:

Hi Kiwijw, I am the other like in that post since I don't have a QED. And I do swing a GPZ and use the ga10 and would never call any person names for using a different setup then I do.

• Like 1

I have been free swinging the zed my last couple of outings with the 14 but I am going back to the strap and going to try the hip stick the next outing. Thanks for brining up this subject.

I was much younger when I got my ZED.  I used the Pro Swing harness and bungee but carried my pick on my shoulder with my right hand, thus preventing me from using the swing arm. While having my pick with two very strong magnets on my pick, I found that the magnets were reprogramming my hearing aids. My pick has a very long handle and I used it as a walking stick on steep and rough ground. I shortened the handle on my pick enough to carry on my belt which solved the problems with the hearing aids and I could still access my pick if needed for support. Then I tried the swing arm. The difference in coil control and sharing the load with your other arm is amazing. I highly recommend using it.

76 and still swinging the ZED  Norm

• Like 9