Ga-10 Guide Arm Question

There is a guy in the High Sierras that has found gold that I only dream about...he uses nothing... no harness and no guide arm and he's not that big a fellow either and older then I am.....I used to think I was though.. I use bot the harness and the guide arm and find detecting very relaxing using these aids.

strick 

Well it looks like I created just as many questions as I left answers.

So to sum up my experience. When I bought the  gpz I already knew it was a heavy detector. Knowing that I figured the swing arm would add unneeded weight . The decision resulted in the shoulder pain and after discussing it with others I learned that most people use the swing arm. So I attached it and had to deal with the damage. It definatly helps distribute the weight and increases your control. I still rotate from left to right side detecting during the day . This helps prevent my shoulder pain from returning.

• Like 1

Hey DZ, 

As you probably read I have also used the hip stick the last few months. I tried Steve's trick yesterday of just attaching the bungy straight to the d clip on my pack.  It actually worked quite well considering I only wear a Camel Bak type pack.  With a back pack a little more substantial it would have been fine for the up and down mullock heap, frequent disconnect type hunting I was doing with only a bit of weight being felt at my shoulder.  

For a long day and flatter ground I will still use the hip stick as it places all the weight at your hip and really makes the Z easier to swing.  

Good luck with however you choose to swing the Z.   :wink:

I am just wondering what you all did with your picks?   Did you grow third arms?  :biggrin:    I like the Guide Arm, but then the only place to put the pick is on your hip.  I do not like having to have a big chunk of metal on my hip.   Some say they do not notice it, but I do. 

For a backpack I use the Camelback and the hip stick.  This way I always have water with me.

If I could find a good way to use the Guide Arm, I would do it, just to save my shoulder.

Interesting, JW.  Sometimes I put it through the top loop of my water pack (meant to be a handle).  This still isn't very ergonomic, though.  I am thinking some sort of shoulder sling with a loop on it would work well.