Gpz-7000 Rookie Here. Initial Settings?

Heading to Rye Patch, NV next week with new detector.

Very little mineralization out there and far away from any type of EMI.

Looking to go as deep as possible.

Reading the manual cover-to-cover but thought you all could provide some guidance on the initial settings.

Thanks!

Rail Dawg,

Very Little Mineralization, not in my book!  This time of the year the soil is damp and the Rye Patch soil comes alive with its Mineralization.  Start off with factory settings this time of the year, tweak as needed, low and slow and your hunting gold.

Rick

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, LuckyLundy said:

Rail Dawg,

Very Little Mineralization, not in my book!  This time of the year the soil is damp and the Rye Patch soil comes alive with its Mineralization.  Start off with factory settings this time of the year, tweak as needed, low and slow and your hunting gold.

Rick

Good point!

We’ve only been detecting there when dry.  

Hi raildawg. 

Congrats on the Z purchase.  If you can use the harness or hip stick or some sort of bungy system that will help a lot with fatigue and also coil control. 

Settings. 

Yes default is a good place to start.  

If you think there may be some bigger bits (>5 grams) general/difficult can be a good combo. 

If you use an audio booster it is worth turning the volume on the Z down as it can make it run smoother.  

As with previous detectors you have probably owned turn the sensitivity up 1 notch until it is unstable and then turn it back 1.  This should get you above the default range and being 4 or 5 notches above default can make quite a difference - especially to the tiny nuggets.  Or you can have a look at Steve’s Insanely Hot settings if you dare :laugh:   They aren’t for everyone or every location but max sensitivity for a short period to clean up a little area can make the world of difference. 

Use the GPZ 7000 tag on this forum and go back and look at ALL the posts by Steve and JP.   JPs advice on ground balancing, ferrite balancing, conservative settings, etc are invaluable. Even put together your own cut and paste manual of their words. I’ve done just that and reference it quite often.  Much of the knowledge I have beyond the instruction manual is that which JP, Steve and others on this forum have so kindly and freely provided.  

The Z is actually fairly straight forward re: settings but there are plenty of little adjustments that can make or break a session depending on your ground, gold, emi, etc. 

And, I almost forgot, I would use normal ground mode as much as possible if your ground/hot rocks allow. Normal definitely opens up more targets for you than difficult. 

Hope that’s useful and hope you get amongst some yella. Have fun :wink:

• Like 4

Rail Dawg - not sure of your history with detectors but the GPZ is a different animal from the GPX 5000.  It can seem to be a little noisier than the GPX but it is actually giving you more information.  Be patient with it and she'll treat you well.  Learn her language, take your time, and read the advice on the forum.  Hope to see much gold in your future!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...