Minelab Eureka Gold

nugget65

Well, if it is in like new condition I would be very tempted myself at $500.

The Eureka is a good detector with a great lineage. It is just that 5.3 pounds and $1049 is more what we expect from a PI for weight and price. That in a nutshell is why very few of them are seen in use in the US. They are better suited for the intense mineralization found in Australia but in our milder ground much lighter less expensive machines fare as well or better.

Perhaps the best thread of all time on the Eureka Gold can be found at https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1053

One of the main posters on that thread, argyle, does a fantastic history and review of the Eureka Gold and its predecessors at Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

Here is a sad little story. Coiltek came out with a 6" coil to work with the Eureka at the 60 khz frequency. The machine had always lacked a small high frequency coil which held it back from ever getting mentioned in the same breath as the Gold Bug 2 or GMT. I made noise about the need for one for years.

Last year when Coiltek came out with the coil they offered to send me one free to try out. I had to inform them that neither I nor anybody that I know had a Eureka to try it on! To this day I am curious how the Eureka with that coil stands up next to the Bug or GMT.

post-1-0-90323600-1421970746_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-77044300-1421970302_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just read everything on both links u sent me to and it seems alittle to hit and miss for me... i need something alittle more user friendly and nothing I read sounded user friendly...thnx for the input.. i think I'm gonna just order the Nokta Fors Gold next week...i haven't read anything bad on the Nokra and any negative that was said.. was addressed immediately by the company... that's a big plus for me.. thnx everyone for the input..

They are not hard to use but harder to master. I wish Minelab would update and miniaturize the machine because there is a market for a nugget detector that can go from 20 kHz to 60 kHz at the flip of a switch. Just not 5.3 lbs worth. At 3.3 lbs though, sign me up.

Here is a blast from the past. Before the Eureka Gold there was the XT18000, and before that, the XT17000, which ran at 32 kHz. I found some nice gold with mine. Here I am with it back in 1995 - twenty years ago now!

post-1-0-63601000-1421975033_thumb.jpg

I love the Eureka, yes it takes alittle more to master it, but it offers alot of performance in return. I use mine with the 8 and 11 inch round coils. Alot of people dont want to take the time it takes to learn these machines, and thats a shame because they are missing out on a very good performing detector. It is one of the better VLF machines in hot ground.

• 5 months later...

I might be willing to trade my GMT for an Eureka Gold just to be able to say been there done that, and be able to give an review. Besides, IV always wanted one !

Got to say it  Fletch, every time I see your name reminds of Chevy Chase one of my fav. movies.

Is the Eureka Gold a pi machine..??

Ivan

Its a 3 freq VLF Ivan.

That Coiltek 6" round is a must have for any Eureka or 18000 owner.

ML used to offer this size coil and had a brain fart when they discontinued it.

Almost matches GB2 performance in mild ground and shames it in hot ground.

The trick with this machine is to GB in each freq (from low to high) when starting out.