Shovel / Scoop For Digging Underwater

I just don't like the scoops with a longer sharp point on the digging end as they tend to rotate as you dig down. I prefer the more rounded tip.

Now if I could just find a scoop with absolutely NO HOLES??  My lower back doesn't like gold digging in the creek when I am bent over  doing it or throwing rocks. Severe lower back pain afterwards. Any suggestions?

If I had me a beach scoop with no holes and a kick thing in back, I could dig standing straight up I think and just lift the scoop up to my highbanker or sluice and maybe wear a lower back support thing. as well. The joys of being over 60 and stuck at an office desk job all week. Most of my running around at work stopped after our mainframe computer was junked. Network is nice but no legwork nowadays.

-Tom

Thanks for the video Steve.I have something similar to this .Its only 4 inches wide. Just something about the long handle and reaching over to the sluice while half bent over , puts a HUGE strain on my lower back. Maybe I could use a beach scoop with foot pedal and bolt on a curved piece of solid metal sheet under the holes. The gold tends to be in the smaller sands and gravels so don't want to lose that stuff. I could also use the scoop to remove up to softball size rocks without so much back strain. Just need a sturdy handle that won't snap off.

I had a sudden brainstorm on this. I will experiment with my beach scoops. See about putting  a piece of perforated metal sheet in the bottom curved area of the scoop, fasten it in with nylon ties. And maybe a solid ramp piece ,possibly on a hinge at the front bill of the scoop to act as a trap door. Then some solid sheet metal tied to the bottom of the scoop.  I am thinking I could push with the foot pedal thing in gold bearing gravels/rocks, then shake the scoop a few times just like when sifting for coins at the beach . The small stuff should settle thru the perf plate and get stuck underneath. I can then keep the scoop underwater to lessen the weight and pull the cobbles out by hand. Then dump the small stuff out by tilting the scoop forward into a sluice or bucket. Heck, I could dig down 3-4 feet doing this and wear  my life jacket in case I need a rest or stand inside an inner tube. Use a floating plastic tub tied off  to my waist to dump the gravels into and/or have a gold pan handy.

I need a project to putz around with anyway...

I have the 2 different sizes of the G.P.S. myself and they do the job.

I also use one of these shovels to feed my Keene 140 dry washer in the Coolgardie CA area and Southern CA deserts. The Martin shovel holds about twice as much dirt as a traditional shovel.

How do I get my lower back muscles in better shape for the gold digging season is what it all boils down to really?

Or losing my spare tire, or both? Sit ups don't help much and too painful .

I wasn't expecting so many aches and pains at the tender age of 61?

Wonder if walking up and down the flights of stairs at work would help any for starters?

My lack of exercise during the winter months and a desk job don't help matters any I guess.

16 hours ago, tvanwho said:

Wonder if walking up and down the flights of stairs at work would help any for starters?

Yes.

Start slow.  Build up.  For both strength and endurance.

Eat your fruits and veggies like your momma told you too!  :biggrin: