Gpx 5000 Question

i purchased a gpx 5000 , what is the smallest gold expected to find with it? right now i can see a .3 nugget 3 inches away with small 10x5 coil. i guess my question what is the smallest piece should i be able to find and what settings are best, another thing my detector will see .3 of gold it screams .3 of lead it will not register. 

It has a lot to do with the shape of the gold.

You could have a .1g nugget that is fairly round and solid, that your 5000 might struggle to hear.  That same .1g nugget flattened out would instead give a nice distinct signal.  There are many variables, shape being one that is very important.

The nugget being solid versus crystalline is another factor.  If the gold is 'spongy' the detector will have a harder time hearing it.

The level of gain you are able to run in your particular soil is another factor.

Which timing are you running?  Another factor.

With a small coil, you should be able to get .1g 'nugs' at a couple inches in moderate conditions.

• Like 4

.1 gram at 2 inches with the gpx 5000? i was using find gold settings 

57 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

It has a lot to do with the shape of the gold.

You could have a .1g nugget that is fairly round and solid, that your 5000 might struggle to hear.  That same .1g nugget flattened out would instead give a nice distinct signal.  There are many variables, shape being one that is very important.

The nugget being solid versus crystalline is another factor.  If the gold is 'spongy' the detector will have a harder time hearing it.

The level of gain you are able to run in your particular soil is another factor.

Which timing are you running?  Another factor.

With a small coil, you should be able to get .1g 'nugs' at a couple inches in moderate conditions.

Just remember that you need more than 300 nuglets  ( 0.1 grams Slightly larger than a turdlet and much larger than a trinket, the nuglet is the average piece of fecal matter ejected by the erupting anus. Greatly known for most of the "aromatic" fragrance while shatting, the nuglet is a colorful and sensual component of the dumping process. Watch out though, don't mistake it for smudglet, ...)To make only one Ounce    :biggrin:

• Like 1

Many moons ago I found a 0.06g nugget on my GP extreme running an 11" mono. The GPX5000 and modern coils are much more sensitive, so capable of some very small stuff.

6" Detech mono, 8x6" Sadie and 14x9" Evo are the best three coils I've tried on the really small stuff. 8" Detech and Commander monos are a very close second. The older 8" Super Gold Search mono's are also a great coil, particularly in hotter ground. 

Re timings, on the very small bits I find Fine-Gold has an edge over Sens Extra, but Sens Extra will punch deeper if the ground isn't hindering it. With any of the new spiral wound coils, Fine Gold and Enhance are so good, that I only ever try Sens Extra if the ground is really mild. 

• Like 2