Detecting In The Surf Question

Ok.... This may sound weird to some, but whenever I used to use my old scoop in the sand and surf, I end up trying to balance my detector up against my hip or in front of me so I have both hands free to lift or hold the handle as to look around in the scoop basket. Is there any type of leash that would go around my waist and hook to the arm piece of my detector so I could just let it hang free without it slipping off of me and falling into the drink? I have a new long handle scoop coming in the mail so I thought I would ask.

• Like 1

I cant seem to get away from my military type gear..... On the beach I wear a nylon strap belt with a set of suspenders that have d rings up on the shoulder area-- i always use a bungee band to take the weight off my shoulder and having it hooked in the d ring keeps it right there when i am inspecting my scoop--- even if i am not in the surf it helps because my detector never gets in the sand... I also have my camera, water bottle and other stuff attached via molle5aab2d4f4c3cb_ScreenShot2018-03-15at7_34_45PM.png.fddbe7eed12345e2f1fedfbfca4ccc70.png

My 3030 is heavy compared to the 800 and I use a hip stick.  It remains attached while digging.  

I have a one handed/leg, long handle digging scoop now but if it is deep I have to walk it back and lay the 800 down.  This limits where I use the detector.  I could put the detector on a leash like a surfboard but I don't go that deep.

Mitchel

I have two of these...cheap stores easily and allows you to let go of the detector for hands free inspection of whats in the scoop. They are all over e bay

strick 

• Like 1

Ya beat me to it Fred :)  Use the swing thingy myself.

• Like 1

Steven, I hunt in the surf on a regular basis... I don't use a harness. Typically, my Minelab Excal is strapped to my right arm and my Stavr scoop, with a carbon fiber handle, is in my left hand. If your scoop is not too wide and heavy, but has large drainage holes, you will have no problem working it with one hand.

When I'm out in the surf I allow the retreating wave to clear the sand from the scoop basket, leaving only the target behind. If I'm working the surfline, I'll dump the sand from the scoop just above water level, rescan, and retrieve the target. This technique is very efficient but requires the right scoop. My large holed Stavr scoop, including carbon fiber handle, is only 3 lbs 4 oz.

image.jpeg