GPZ Headphones: Yes Or No?

There is quite a bit of discussion about this in a thread somewhere over the past 12 months. 

In short..

Some people simply prefer headphones as they believe they hear faint signals better.  Personally I hate headphones due to them being hot, cumbersome and blocking out surrounding noise (I would prefer to hear the thing that is sneaking up on me :ohmy:). 

I have tried over the ear earplugs that do not actually sit in your ear and allow you some ambient noise to infiltrate - they are quite good but still a bit annoying.  

Any sort of earplug/head phone will still plug into your WM12 so you remain wireless from the Z.  

Personally I use a booster (B&Z) with an external speaker. Simply this allows me to keep the volume on the detector lower which makes the Z less noisy/sparky/subject to EMI.  I actually have the volume so low on the Z that you would barely hear it in the WM 12 if you didn't have the booster.  But with the booster you can then turn the volume right up to your liking.  You can also quickly cut it off if you are digging a really loud target and bringing attention to yourself. 

Others also use a booster and 2 external speakers (I'm pretty sure JP and KiwiJW run this set up).  One on each shoulder pointed up at their ears and with a wide brim hat it sort gives  a surround sound effect  :biggrin:

Try searching B&Z or GPZ booster or something and you should find previous threads   :wink:

• Like 1

Like Steve said, only if its windy or other background noise.   I clip the speaker on my backpack strap, or detector arm cuff.

Speaker is much easier on my nerves and hearing when hunting noisy ground and trashy areas like all of California :laugh:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Col Douglas said:

Has anyone tried  bone-conduction headphones, that are used by bike riders to listen to music etc., while still retaining audio awareness of their surroundings?

As1.png.75788f4ae4c7510bac50682e48fed0dd.png   As2.jpg.222076bb64d39306b6c77a22aa93a3ed.jpg

I have thought above getting a set to try, but no. Seems like they might be a good idea. I doubt the sound quality is very high but since these type headphones bypass the outer ear they may help a lot with people that have certain types of hearing loss.