Equinox= True Dirt Fishing

Skate

Skate - totally get what you and the others in this thread are saying.

My experience too, with masking.  The rare beach wheatie masked by the steel wire I ran into the other day just blew me away.  I was not walking away from that target even though it was "iffy"  it still had enough of a "dig me" quality to it.  Just can't explain it, but it was a great experience.

I too was concerned about the lack of modulation for things like beer cans, but I am not sure that the Equinox can do what it does (give you a three dimensional tone feel that pops out at you from the junk tones) and yet still have the modulation on the "overload" targets we are used to.  As mentioned elsewhere, I am working on ways to figure that stuff out using the pinpointer and AM button.  I think if I have to "complain" about anything, it is all the tools at your fingertips that you can use to interrogate a target thoroughly before choosing to dig.  The AM button, "thin" coil wiggle and circle target (sweet spot), pinpoint, mode switch, and single frequency scan are all viable tools that can be used separately or in conjunction with each other to thoroughly interrogate the target to make a dig decision.  I "complain" about this because I may be spending more time trying to use the tools than just digging the damn target, but whatever, I like it.   Only problem is that I am developing very bad habits if I should attempt to use this thing in a contest hunt where beep-dig is the ticket to success.  Lol.

• Like 2

I ran mine in auto Trac for a while at first and experienced exactly what you said about the target disappearing.  I said to myself YIKES!! I won't be doing that anymore.  Tim what Skate said about doing the circle around the target and finding the sweet spot that says dig me is good advise. We all have our little sayings as to what we call things. I will tell myself "better circle the wagons on this one" lol. Thanks for sharing Skate!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good job buddy!! 

The Nox is bringing home the goods, it's going to be fun rehunting old haunts, I'm pretty sure they still hold lots of good finds!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Skate said:

The other side of the coin is that maybe I was just an average detectorer prior to the Equinox and I'm cleaning up now because of it.

Hold that thought.

8 hours ago, Skate said:

Two of the pennies were in with chunks of iron and were one way tones. Kind of a grunt chirp. No matter how many times I walked around it i could only get a chirp in the single direction but the chirp was solid enough to get a dig.

It's a combination of having a better detector and you being a better detectorist.  The capabilities of the Eqx are opening doors that were locked previously.  You have an open mind with this new 'toy' and it's paying off.  With previous detectors I'm guessing an iffy signal such as you describe (only high tone one direction, and then only left or right, not both parts of swing) was very likely junk.  You learned that from digging hundreds of junk targets, going in with high hopes, then having those hopes dashed.

Pretty sure Steve H. said this a while back:  if you respond to Eqx signals like you've responded to similar signals in the past with other detectors then you aren't getting the most out of it.  Approach this novelty with an open mind.  That's what you are doing and it's paying off.  Keep it up!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1