Why Do I Need Waterproof Headphones?

Dukester

Sorry bout that Chase, didn't read far enough :rolleyes:

That's what happens when you try to squeeze in some forum reading while working - lol

BTW I bought the SoundPeats, and they sound OK, but I think I like the EQ800 headphones better, so will likely send the SoundPeats back, and stick with the factory BT headphones.  If I get into beach detecting, I may revisit the SoundPeats....but for relic & park detecting, the factory BT headphones work great IMHO.

HH,
Cal

No problems, sir.  Just poking fun.  And like I said, if its good info, no harm in repeating it.  Besides, my posts tend to get a little long winded (no, say it isnt so!) so its good the nuggets get out there by themselves sometimes.  Lol.  I really just wanted to get the info out there on the pouch and antenna, because gawd knows when ML is going to release some accessories.  :biggrin:

HH with that Equinox, Cal, it seems to be hitting on all cylinders so far.

Basically you are creating a low form of electrolysis with salt water.   It WILL corrode inside and thats a small hole to get into to properly clean it out.   You will start getting snap crackle and pop and eventually phones will go in and out.   there will be a cable as an accessory coming which may serve your purpose for fresh water, but not salt water as is.   Your conditions arent as harsh as salt water corrosion.   drop your phones in fresh water you can likely just blow the water out and you are good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Basically you are creating a low form of electrolysis with salt water.   It WILL corrode inside and thats a small hole to get into to properly clean it out.   You will start getting snap crackle and pop and eventually phones will go in and out.   there will be a cable as an accessory coming which may serve your purpose for fresh water, but not salt water as is.   Your conditions arent as harsh as salt water corrosion.   drop your phones in fresh water you can likely just blow the water out and you are good.

Thanks to Steve and Chase for pointing out where my thoughts were wrong.  I had no intention to cause confusion, I just did not think it a good idea to use the Equinox underwater without a waterproof connector.  As a sea detectorist I just hope some waterproof headphones arrive very soon, a shame not to be able to use the machine to it´s full capabilities until they are available.

HH

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boandtia said:

Thanks to Steve and Chase for pointing out where my thoughts were wrong.  I had no intention to cause confusion, I just did not think it a good idea to use the Equinox underwater without a waterproof connector.  As a sea detectorist I just hope some waterproof headphones arrive very soon, a shame not to be able to use the machine to it´s full capabilities until they are available.

HH

You are absolutely right to be concerned about this, Boandtia, and it is not good that Minelab has not given us any indication whatsoever when the WP headphones will be available and for how much.  Hoping with you that they arrive soon.  The other suggested solutions might allow you to get things a little wet at least, in a manner that does not damage your equipment, but yes in one respect we are not yet able to use the machine to the fullest extent advertised.  HH.

Chase ... i got an Email and was told they are in production this week with shipping next.   NOW..... how long to get in the dealers hands?   He told me first week of April.   We will see.   I whinned for a pair....... but he said he didnt have a box by his desk lol.   I do know someone starting to make his and made the waterproof plug out of an M12 4 pin plug.   Im hoping..... we get a surprise and they actually improved the yellows.... i mean we cant dive with this machine....... audio sear speaker might be better than piezos in this case.   Ihave to say thou im impressed with the wireless phones and their volume.... not bad.   Need a bit better pads to block out noise on the beach thou .... but plenty of volume.

• Thanks 1

Dew, I'd have more faith in the WP headphones forecast if it came from ML.  My dealer mentioned the same time frame a couple of weeks ago and when I recently checked back it had changed to 6 to 8 weeks.  A call to ML in IL customer service produced no time frame estimate and no word on production either.  No surprise there.  I hope your dealer is correct. :sad:

Oh, and check out Tony Eisenhower's latest YT video.  He made his own WPs.

What.... no faith in me huh lol?  My info came from ML in Aussie land.  Hey, but we all know how things change right?  Ya Tony is making me a pair and sent me the info so i can make the jack.   I suspect Tony is going to get busier than ML lol.  He did mention he MIGHT make a waterproof cable with a CTX connector M12 so those of us who have them modified can use his phones on all 3 MLs.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, I think I have headphone covered for my planned adventures this year anyway. I have some ATP-x LL Trond that I've been using most of the time and will probably continue to for land detecting.

For wetter use, but where I don't expect to go in too deep, I have a pair of ATP-x IPX7 waterproof ear buds. I'm curious if anyone else has tried Bluetooth with the module under water? I've done a little testing by putting my 600 in my hot tub :wacko: and was surprised that it seemed to work fairly well until it got a foot or so under, then started breaking  up. This was a very limited test though.

Finally if the Bluetooth just won't work, I took some headphone (these, can't believe they sell them for $40 :huh:) that I got free from kellyco with my first detector and "waterproofed",  (or at least water resisted) them up. I got a four pin M12 adapter like this (only my is all plastic), the four pins had screws for the wires, but remove the screws and the pins come right out. There is another hole dead center, which I used as my drill guide. The 7 cable gland on the back was big enough that when I carefully cut the rubber jacket off my headphone, all the little components fit right over of the jack. Then I drilled the connector so the jack body could fit. I got a couple o-ring from my local hardware store that fit over the jack and inside the body of the connector quite tight and centered perfectly. Test fit to get the jack deep correct, then used silicon to secure and seal the back of the jack inside the connector. installed the shell and gland parts and sealed with silicon sense the headphone wire is too small for the gland to seal up. I sealed up the headphones themselves by taking the foam cover off and using aluminum duct sealing tape over to cover the grill, then took the phones apart and covered the wire connections and back of the speaker with silicon (wondered if this would effect the sound much, but didn't really seem to). Put them back together and put the foam back on and called it good enough to see if I like water detecting or not. 

IMG_0085.JPG