Wireless Headphones

My professional wireless background is far more involved in audio headsets than metal detectors so I'll strive to be brief and specific on the  topics in this thread.  (brief is difficult for me)

On February 13, 2015 at 2:28 AM, vanursepaul said:

They dont use Bluetooth ---instead they use KLEER tech....(not very popular)

But i think they will work better than BT

Bluetooth (a technology brand) is indeed a more widely popular standard than Kleer (a company name which uses a proprietary technology).  Kleer based products almost always come in a pair a dongle (plugs into audio jack or maybe USB) and a headset.  Kleer main claims to fame are low latency and lossless audio (in laymen's terms this means very clear audio).   So, to support vanerspaul's assertion, you are not likely to go wrong with Kleer based audio jack dongle and headset.

Bluetooth headsets tend to be sold standalone to work with a phone, computer, tablet, which has an embedded bluetooth capability.    If you find a Bluetooth audio jack dongle and headset combination, look for "low latency A2DP".   Otherwise you may end up with a latency problem as Steve notes above.    

(OK, one nerdy thing -  for lip synch audio, matching video human speaking to audio, the rule of thumb is less than ~ 40mSec latency.   So in our application, matching MD swing (eyeball) to sound, look for less than 40 mSec latency on the specs of your headset audio dongle combo.)

To summarize for those not wanting to be wireless audio pros, you are less likely to make a mistake with Kleer based audio dongle and headset products.

The GPZ 7000 is based on a 2.4 GHz proprietary technology of Texas Instruments (per FCC submissions).   Bluetooth and Kleer also use the 2.4 GHz band.  2.4 GHz is not in and of itself magic.   There is crap and great audio stuff using the 2.4 GHz frequency band.   Minelab's choice of the TI technology means they are going to keep their wireless audio link a closed system so you can't go buy a wireless headset to mate with your GPZ 7000 directly.   You'll buy a corded audio headset to plug into the GPZ 7000 WM 12 just like on the CTX 3030 WM10 module.

• Like 1

Update on the Kleer headphones system.. TDK

The headphones worked great with the 2300---no lag at all that i could tell. Sound quality is good and best of all i can increase volume with the headset.

The procedure is like this:

1- Get a 1/4 inch adapter

2- Plug it in and then plug in the provided Kleer transmitter with the provided adapters 

3-Turn on detector

4- Power up the transmitter by pushing a button on it

5- Power up the headphones by pushing a button on the right side headphone cover

6- Tuck the transmitter neatly into the camo cover -(it is a big as a matchbox)

7- Put on headphones and adjust volume on the right side of headphones.

That's it!

One thing i like is that they are light, but they keep the noise out well---- i like to run with my left one cocked off my ear a little so i can hear what is going on around me.

They are light enough that when you aren't using them you can just hang them around your neck---

This also is handy when you are digging so they won't fall off you head---or so you don't  have to always pick them back up and put them on to check your hole.

That is the end of my review of the TDK Kleer tech headphones.

Well worth it for me, but hard to find....

It may be worth checking out Tvanwho's post above for some Senhauser's that are still in production.

****UPDATE**

I just looked at the Sennheiser's and i did not see a mini transmitter---it appeared to only have a headphone dock/transmitter station. The headphones are docked there to recharge i think...so it is probably unacceptable for real wireless on the go usage...nice looking headphones though.... Maybe i could use a set of them with the transmitter i already have??????