Facing Reality...the Equinox Indeed Has Obsoleted Single Frequency VLF Detectors

7 minutes ago, LowTide said:

If you are the CEO are you going to give the go ahead based upon whatever sales projections that you might have?

Unless my marketing team has Rasputinlike mind control abilities over an entralled army of fanboys, and I'm certain of it, in a word, NO.

The march of technological advancement is relentless and accelerating.  If you are a tech business, ignoring this fact means death, sooner or later.  And the sooner happens more and more all the time.

12 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:

Quibble about the minutia, and make small arguments against Equinox all you like.  If you are coming from a place like Mike....

So, thanks, sincerely, Mike Hillis and auminesweeper for offering small ways Minelab might be able to up their game.  I want my next detector to be 100% perfect too.  I'm just glad I got my Equinox 800 before your arguments had any influence to dissuade me from a great purchase.

I don't think any thing that was said was an attack on ML,  All I said was that a person should not have to modify a new machine to be able to use larger coils, and I have always said what great machines the GM and the EQ are and I still believe that. Go and read all my past posts if in doubt.

If you are pleased with your result that's great that's all that matters, JW and Chris have had outstanding results with the GM and I do think it is the future of Gold Machines. but I do think you took what I said the wrong way.

2 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

I don't think any thing that was said was an attack on ML

2 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

but I do think you tokk what I said the wrong way.

Just so I'm clear, I didn't take what you said as an attack on Minelab or me or anybody.  I took what you said as something similar to how I took Mike Hillis' comments... as, to borrow his words,...

18 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:
  4 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

I'm just the guy on the sidelines throwing rocks

The way I understand that is, you are both just pointing out ways Equinox could be better.

I agree.  I think Equinox could be better.  I just think those potential improvements are very small potatoes compared to what one would be giving up by purchasing another detector, in that price range.  And that is what I want to make sure newbies reading this forum understand clearly.

I don't doubt your sincerity or his.  I hope you don't doubt mine.  I really think the whole long exchange that this forum represents helps people learn from many perspectives, and get to what works and is true for them.  I really do value everybody's opinion, even when I disagree. We all have experiences others haven't had.

14 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

All I said was that a person should not have to modify a new machine to be able to use larger coils

and I agree with you, in principle, but for me that shortcoming is easily overcome, so it carries little influence for me.

I said there was no vitriol/venom in my words, and I meant it.  I do value your input, and we agree the balancing could be better.

5 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:

Just so I'm clear, I didn't take what you said as an attack on Minelab or me or anybody.  I took what you said as something similar to how I took Mike Hillis' comments... as, to borrow his words,...

The way I understand that is, you are both just pointing out ways Equinox could be better.

I agree.  I think Equinox could be better.  I just think those potential improvements are very small potatoes compared to what one would be giving up by purchasing another detector, in that price range.  And that is what I want to make sure newbies reading this forum understand clearly.

I don't doubt your sincerity or his.  I hope you don't doubt mine.  I really think the whole long exchange that this forum represents helps people learn from many perspectives, and get to what works and is true for them.  I really do value everybody's opinion, even when I disagree. We all have experiences others haven't had.

and I agree with you, in principle, but for me that shortcoming is easily overcome, so it carries little influence for me.

I said there was no vitriol/venom in my words, and I meant it.  I do value your input, and we agree the balancing could be better.

The GM has been the most productive Gold getting VLF these past months/year whats not to like, but I don't think there is a machine in history including the ones I have that didn't need a tweak or two. It does not make them any less effective, In fact and I would go as far as to say the GM is my favourite out of all the machines that have come out in the past 3 years, apart from the rerelease of the 4500.  

I still have a weakness for the GPX even though I don't like using PI's, The thing I find refreshing about this new direction is that ML have now gone back to making machines with a single frequency or the option of multi frequency, The musketeer Advantage was the most fun machine and they stopped making it and I had BBS and FBS but I missed that lightning speed the Musky had, I am glad ML have gone back to their roots with this new tech so to speak.

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Sorry if I caused any sort of disagreement between folks, was never my intention.

:laugh:  Of course not!

We all speak from our own perspectives.

Besides, it is unavoidable that people will disagree or see things from different perspectives.  Disagreement is fine, and even a good thing, as long as it doesn't descend into mean spirited conflict.  I don't think it has.  In fact, I think we actually agree in principle.  I just wanted to make sure less informed people don't get lost in a forest of info that can get confusing.

7 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

The musketeer Advantage was the most fun machine

and that is really what detecting is really all about, isn't it?  The fun.  I think most everybody will agree about that.

I apoligize, auminesweeper, if anything I said came off as mean spirited or defensive.  I really think we are all looking to have fun and enjoy this, and the last thing I want to do is take the fun out of this for anybody.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:

and that is really what detecting is really all about, isn't it?  The fun.  I think most everybody will agree about that.

I apoligize, auminesweeper, if anything I said came off as mean spirited or defensive.  I really think we are all looking to have fun and enjoy this, and the last thing I want to do is take the fun out of this for anybody.

Mate we are all in this together and if it is good for the hobby then it is good for us and the standard of machines coming out lately is only going to enhance our success, I have waited since 2010 for ML to bring back machines like this and it's only gonna get better.

• Like 2