My Folded Equinox Modification

This is my Equinox 800 in the folded position, and in its tennis racket bag. 

Its really the ultimate in portability, I just flip  up the coil, press the lock button on the folding mechanism and fold the detector in,where it will lock in place folded.the length folded is 24",and its at the height that I use it at.  The folding gizmo weighs 5 oz. and doesn't add any noticeable weight, though it can be easily offset. The bag has a zippered compartment for my shovel and the aptX headphones are in a net bag on the front. I can wear it like a backpack. I have the 600 set up the same way with its own racket bag. 

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On ebay search on fold and go metal detector modification and you will find them. Cost $45 or $55 for one that disassembles for cleaning. Instructions are provided, but it's simple to do. Flip up the coil measure halfway point. Mark 1 1/2 inches above and below ( on middle rod). Put device on where you cut 3" out at center point. With detector lying on side folding gizmo will be at about 45 degree tilt. Use tape to secure temporary and press button and fold it. Adjust tubes till coil is correct when unfolded, and flat or slight tilt when folded. When you are sure it's correct in both folded and unfolded then mark tube thru bolt holes and drill for provided mounting bolt and nylon lined locknut. Tighten together. 

There is no slack in the fold device. Everything is firm and tight.  I've had my f75 folded for 6 months and it has held up fine. 

Its not difficult to do. Cut tubes with hack saw or 1" tube cutter. I had to cut 6" off the  lower rod so it ends before the device. 

• Like 7

Very slick, I like it!

I always felt that the Go Find collapsable format was the ultimate compact format, and always figured that Minelab was using that format as a test mule for future products, which I suppose it is, the made more Go Finds :rolleyes:

Rockwestcomposites dot com has them too. Also carbon fiber shafts. HTH

It's great to know the folding device is sturdy over time. Thanks for posting this! The carbon fiber/Kevlar tube at Rockwest would make a pretty cool looking detector shaft.

I never understood the carbon fiber shaft thing. Sturdy and light I get that, but what's the gain on the already light Equinox?

As for shaft wobble, better designs would have increased cost and weight. But if you are sole user and don't disassemble (with fold I don't ) you can eliminate shaft slack with tape and zipties. It is too slight on mine to bother

Hi relicmeister, the case for a carbon fiber shaft is something I am familiar with from using PI's. With those detectors - as you probably know - it was less metal interference with the very "live" coil. For the Equinox I would think not so much of a problem, but I am only guessing.