Was out with the 800 today for an hour before work.  Visited a well hunted location. Turned up an 1887 V Nickel at 7-8”.  Had to remove a bottle cap at 3” that was very close to get a clear shot at the V. Had a rusted nail in the hole with it. It was a good find.

Rich (Utah)

• Like 5

Steve,

I'll throw my 1.5 cents worth in on this one.  Over the years I have had some good luck getting gold rings on nickel signals.  In the parks I hunt most hunters lump them in with tabs and foil and ignore them.  My last hunt with a White's MX7 I was testing got me a nice small gold ring that came through as a solid nickel reading.  So I always dig nickel signals. 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great answers everyone! In case anyone thinks differently I normally dig nickels. Here is the last few hours detecting. Eight wheats so silver was possible however did not happen this time. 24 quarters, 35 dimes, 31 nickels, and 46 pennies, eight of which were wheaties. Funny these days how as copper pennies get ever more rare dimes are catching up as a found target if you ignore the zincs.

Equinox does like those nickels.

equinox-finds-1.jpg

• Like 5

I only dig nickels when they show up in the gold range.   

HH

Mike

• Haha 2

Man Steve, you had a good spot.  A coin every 2.25 minutes if you were out there for 4 hours........ (what does "few hours" mean? usually 3 hours)

Next time I'm in Reno, I'm going to follow you!! :smile:

On 4/6/2018 at 2:48 PM, LipCa said:

Man Steve, you had a good spot.  A coin every 2.25 minutes if you were out there for 4 hours........ (what does "few hours" mean? usually 3 hours)

Next time I'm in Reno, I'm going to follow you!! :smile:

Not that hot I think, just local parks, and more like 7-8 hours over three outings. 

I have been going out to a local park since coming back from wintering in Arizona. When I first started going there last summer, the locals there told me that they had seen detectorists there for years. Since I was new to coin hunting and learning how to use my         CTX 3030, I kept going back. I have found hundreds  of coins including two Buffalos and several silvers. These are my finds for the last three times out, all were about three hours each. I dig nickel sounds because I haven't found any jewelry there yet.

Not giving up Norm

IMG_5569_1C (1).jpg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, normmcq said:

I dig nickel sounds because I haven't found any jewelry there yet.

Dig the lower tones as well down to 12.03 and up to the nickel ID and you may get a gold ring. Looking forward to seeing you up in gods country this summer.

strick

Nice ! those V nickels can sometimes be in rough shape. Funny how one is red and the other is green. I hit a park last night for a couple house...one junk ring and a bunch of coins...I was very impressed with the Nox I picked the trashiest spot in the park and went through swinging fast and was able to clearly pick out the high tones and zero in on them. 

strick