Iron Bias

strick

Please forgive me if this has already been covered. I've been reading Nox for over a month now and everything is becoming a big blur....Why is the iron Bias set at 6 (800 model) in park 1 but set at zero in Field 1? It's also set at zero in Park and Field 2 

What I'm not getting is that field hunt modes would be were I would be encountering  nails and get thus  nail falsing. Most of the parks I hunt are relatively nail free. Me no understand lol

strick 

Field 1 should be a little higher as targets will be shallower if ploughed up . Park 1 should be lower for the depth .

Why 6 for Beach 1 ? No depth in that , but then few tests were done on the beach till almost release date and not by people that do beaches almost entirely .

Wow, I just checked the iron bias on all my settings. The majority of them were at 6. I am going to put them lower.

1 minute ago, flakmagnet said:

Wow, I just checked the iron bias on all my settings. The majority of them were at 6. I am going to put them lower.

Its no wonder i wasn't as impressed with the machine when i first used it . Now i have it lower its a lot better . Though slower ! But then i dont care.

From reading about Park Mode 1 in the users manual, I get the sense that the default settings are designed for ease of use for beginners — it discriminates most of the non-ferrous trash and the iron bias setting of 6 masks most iron targets...optimum for cherry picking coins from the trash.

The reason that iron bias is preset to 0 in Park2 and both of the Field modes is that you don’t want any low conductors (like thin, hammered coins in Europe or gold coins in the U.S.) to be masked by adjacent iron targets. I’ve noticed the pros set up their EQXs with low  iron bias and high recovery settings to unmask low conductors from the iron.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter
5 minutes ago, Lunk said:

From reading about Park Mode 1 in the users manual, I get the sense that the default settings are designed for ease of use for beginners — it discriminates most of the non-ferrous trash and the iron bias setting of 6 masks most iron targets...optimum for cherry picking coins from the trash.

The reason that iron bias is preset to 0 in Park2 and both of the Field modes is that you don’t want any low conductors (like thin, hammered coins in Europe or gold coins in the U.S.) to be masked by adjacent iron targets. I’ve noticed the pros set up their EQXs with low  iron bias and high recovery settings to unmask low conductors from the iron.

I agree with all.

Park 1, Minelab used logic, thinking where would folks first go when using?

The very first detect mode.

Hence a good warm up program to familiarize one's self with detector.

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

Its no wonder i wasn't as impressed with the machine when i first used it . Now i have it lower its a lot better . Though slower ! But then i dont care.

I think you may be getting iron bias and recovery speed mixed up.  Lowering or raising iron bias should have no effect on speed of the machine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I think you may be getting iron bias and recovery speed mixed up.  Lowering or raising iron bias should have no effect on speed of the machine.

No but it still affects signals and discrimination . If your being biased against iron then nulling will happen . Even a fast machine suffers that , i see it on the beach amongst the nails. More speed and higher bias means seeing less iron but loses depth too ?? 

And thats the setting on all or at least the Beach 1 . 

34 minutes ago, Nuke em said:

No but it still affects signals and discrimination . If your being biased against iron then nulling will happen . Even a fast machine suffers that , i see it on the beach amongst the nails. More speed and higher bias means seeing less iron but loses depth too ?? 

And thats the setting on all or at least the Beach 1 . 

Higher iron bias can actually perceived to be "slower" because you cannot separate ferrous and non-ferrous targets as well.  There is NO EFFECT on depth, per se, with iron bias settings.  And very little impact on depth with higher recovery speed settings.  Lowering iron bias merely means you will false more on small iron, bent nails and nail heads and possibly on large and/or round iron.  For beach hunting in low iron target density areas, I see no reason NOT to have iron bias as high as the default; set it to 0, only if you fear missing an iron masked non-ferrous target.  In thick iron, you can "pick your poison" so to speak.  Run iron bias up high to minimize falsing but run the risk of passing over a masked non-ferrous target or run it at zero and take the falsing but also increase your chances of hearing a masked non-ferrous keeper target.  That's how I see it.

Regarding recovery speed, this beast is designed to be run fast, so run it fast.  Stick with the default as a minimum and go faster if you want to in high trash areas to increase separation.  There is very little adverse impact on depth running recovery speed 6 or higher.  I even increase the recovery speed from the default of 4 in Gold Mode 2 and crank it up to at least 6.  But I am not hunting nuggets in Gold 2, I am looking for mid-conductive non-ferrous in high mineralization and high iron trash environments.

HTH

• Like 3