Iron Bias

strick

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Some interesting comments in this thread.

How about a pic.

abcyu.jpg

You see a nail and a clad dime.

Stack of 2x4s is for coil height guide.

Park 2 factory program used with noise cancel.

Left at speed 6 too, just played with iron bias setting.

Sweeping coil over top of stack of 2x4s, you want to detect dime with sweeping direction down barrel of nail.

What does varying iron bias do?

Good luck finding the dime using iron bias 9.

Now as I lower iron bias, I start getting one way swept tone at iron bias 6 setting.

As I approach a 3 setting I start getting 2 way swept tone.

At zero iron bias I get 2 way swept tone and also the longest tone vs all other iron bias settings.

If a person hunts their sites using say iron bias 6 setting.  IMO very possible to leave finds in the ground.  I am not saying to necessarily run a 0 setting either.

yes, in this separation test, the iron bias setting is safe from 0-3, even when the most complete signal is iron bias 0, I have done similarly 3D-I  O  I  -bench tests for all of my detectors - and can confirm from the detector - like in 3D the test is similar in practice also in the field ...

• Like 1

I strongly suggest that some of you guys read the Equinox Manual Page 51 as it proves all along what "Nuke em" is saying is 100% correct that using a higher "Recovery Speed" influences a detection depth reduction.

Page 51 Equinox User Manual.

EQUINOX 600 has 3 Target Recovery Speeds, and EQUINOX 800 has 8 recovery speeds.
Recovery Speed adjustment is local; only the current Detect
Mode Search Profile will be affected by changes to this setting.
While using a higher target Recovery Speed may increase the
ability of the detector to find difficult targets, it also results in
reduced Target ID accuracy and less detection depth.

Swing Rate
A good general swing rate is around 2-3 seconds from right-toleft-
to-right. A higher Recovery Speed generally allows for a faster
swing rate with less likelihood of missing targets.
A higher Recovery Speed, for the same swing rate, will help to
reject ground noise, but also decrease detection depth. A lower
Recovery Speed, for the same swing rate, will increase detection
depth
, but may increase noise.

• Like 1

Recovery speed and iron bias are two different things getting mixed up in one thread.

The instruction manual is just a guide and not the be all and end all when it comes how to run Equinox. Very low recovery speeds will reduce depth in really mineralized ground. Yeah, for moderate to low mineral ground it’s true you can increase depth with lower recovery speeds but in more intense ground it’s just not true. Also, you are going to increase your risk of target masking. If a low recovery speed misses a target at two inches next to trash that a faster recovery speed hits, which is going deeper?

I have been fighting this and fighting this. My next Treasure Talk blog addresses the issue it is so important. If there is one thing I wish Minelab would change in the manual it is to offer more detail on that page. Minelab does allude to it:

“A lower Recovery Speed, for the same swing rate, will increase detection depth, but may increase noise.”

The problem in bad ground is that noise increases faster than depth not only negating the potential for increased depth but in fact making things worse to the point where targets found at higher recovery speeds can be missed. In very bad ground it’s not “may increase noise” but “will increase noise”.

Many people are shooting themselves in the foot by immediately going to lower recovery speeds thinking it automatically gets more depth. And if the area has already been amply hunted with BBS and FBS detectors, it is an error if the first order. BBS/FBS users in particular seem to want to immediately try and turn Multi-IQ into BBS/FBS which gives up one of the major improvements over those technologies - speed. The presets are where they are for a reason!

Now for Nukem in the U.K. lower recovery speed is obviously helping him. That makes sense on sanded in beaches in the U.K. But hunt with me and no way. The U.K. is not the Western U.S. You have to learn the machine for your own ground.

As far as iron bias goes I learned Equinox without it (most people know it was a late addition) and so for now I tend to set it to 0 until I have more time to play around with it. I am not saying that is the right thing to do. Just like recovery speed there are no absolutes and so I have no doubt I am in turn shooting myself in the foot automatically going to zero. The worst case however is I am just dealing with more ferrous falsing than I need to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Randy Dee said:

I strongly suggest that some of you guys read the Equinox Manual Page 51 as it proves all along what "Nuke em" is saying is 100% correct that using a higher "Recovery Speed" influences a detection depth reduction.

Was someone doubting him?  My only question for him, or anyone for that matter, is how much in inches or cm's, for a particular type of target, is the depth loss?

Before I got my Equinox, I thought the amount of depth loss would be significant.  In my particular environment, so far, I have noticed no depth loss.  It surprised me.  So, I'm curious to know both a) what conditions bring a significant depth loss, and b) How much is that depth loss for which target?

58 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:

How much depth were you losing when you compared the 6 recovery speed to a 1 recovery speed?

For recovery rate 1-2 versus 6 for a 25-cent coin you can get 2 "plus, maybe even more.

• Thanks 1

Thank you EL NINO77.  That is what I was curious to know.

In my environment so far, 2" extra to get a quarter at 14" I would only see to 12" is the sort of variable I can easily weigh in my memory banks.

In my situation, that is a bad tradeoff for the benefits I see from using a higher recovery rate.  Not necessarily true for everyone in all situations, but it is good to know at times and places when it might be a significant gain/benefit.

Unfortunately, I'm out of reactions for the day, so thumbs up to you sir!  :smile:

29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Oh my gosh no! First off recovery speed and iron bias are two different things getting mixed up in one thread.

The instruction manual is just a guide and not the be all and end all when it comes how to run Equinox. Lower recovery speeds will reduce depth in really mineralized ground. Yeah, for moderate to low mineral ground it’s true you can increase depth with lower recovery speeds but in more intense ground it’s just not true. Also, you are going to increase your risk of target masking. If a low recovery speed misses a target at two inches next to trash that a faster recovery speed hits, which is going deeper?

I have been fighting this and fighting this. My next Treasure Talk blog addresses the issue it is so important. If there is one thing I wish Minelab would change in the manual it is to offer more detail on that page. Many people are completely blowing their feet off with a shotgun by immediately going to lower recovery speeds thinking it automatically gets more depth. And if the area has already been amply hunted with BBS and FBS detectors, it is an error if the first order.

Now for Nukem in the U.K. lower recovery is obviously helping him. But hunt with me and no way. Learn the machine for your own ground.

The key here, as Steve said above, is there is no one size fits all answer.  Site environmental and trash conditions play a key role.  In my mineralized ground and especially in thick iron, the higher recovery speeds are preferred for BOTH depth and separation by decreasing ground noise and increasing overall signal to noise ratio.  Need to refer to Steve's conveyer belt analogy. Iron Bias plays a different role to balance falsing and separation, another, different signal to noise ratio tradeoff.

25 minutes ago, MarXthespot said:

EL NINO77.  That is what I was curious to know.

In my environment so far, 2" extra to get a quarter at 14" I would only see to 12" is the sort of variable I can easily weigh in my memory banks.

In my situation, that is a bad tradeoff for the benefits I see from using a higher recovery rate.  Not necessarily true for everyone in all situations, but it is good to know at times and places when it might be a significant gain/benefit.

Unfortunately, I'm out of reactions for the day, so thumbs up to you sir!  :smile:

...but you have to sweep it slowly - ...- As Steve H. quite rightly remarked, on mineralized land at least 4 or more Recovery speed...So we can say that the correct size of recovery speed is also a marker of terrain mineralization....

• Like 1

Thanks fellas for the education...although some of it is getting even more blurry...so highly mineralized ground better to have fast recovery speed..low mineralized ground lower the recovery speed.....Iron biased set high equals missed targets when in nails but better for beginners at parks lol. I'll be looking for a happy medium like Cabin Fever..

strick

• Like 1