First 2 Hours At My Hard Hit Site

Vez

I told a friend about it and he asked if I would do a write up on it and I said no I just wanted to share my finds with him.  I thought about it and he is right I should talk abut how it worked out!  So I went to my button site and man this machine is a lot more talkative than my CTX.  I was getting nice solid hits among the machine gun fire of iron.  These hits would turn out to be .22 shells at about a 7 and the lead at about a 10.  After about my 3rd 10 I was hesitant to dig it, but I wanted to see what it was.  It was the smallest button I have ever found sitting 4" deep.  Then I finally after about 2 hours get a nice mid-high tone at 22-24 and I decided to play with different modes while the target was en-situ. 

Field 2 Fe bias 2 sensitivity 24 (yes very stable) auto ground balance multi.  The target was stable and loud but there was a bunch of funky sounds on the edges and front to back due to the bed of iron in this place.  Then I switch to park 2 and sounds damn near the same, a little more mechanical.  Finally in beach 1.  This was interesting, it sounded far and away the nicest in this mode!  I chose to end the hunt here as I needed to go soon anyways and felt like it should be on a good note as it was a dime sized button about 6" deep! 

I plan on coming back here when it drys out.  I have a strong feeling that the iron halos would be muted a bit when it gets bone dry in the mid-summer.  That is when I would find deep stuff with the CTX and the 17" coil, it would stand to reason that the same would be true with this. 

20180330_161205.jpg

20180330_161329.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome story.  More to come I'm sure.  I love to hear what people are finding with this machine.  There is a lot of special happenings going on inside this machine.  Amazing what the capabilities are.  I too have some stories to tell at a point in the future.  I'm amazed every time I turn it on.

• Like 1

Glad you decided to share buddy! There is so much to learn on this machine and it takes someone to take the time and experiment with targets to figure out little nuances of the machine. Congrats on what I would say was a successful first hunt with the 800.

Cliff

• Like 1

I am basically a coin shooter because I don't know any old homesites or places people used to gather to look for relics. Anyway i hunted a hunted out soccer field yesterday morning. I hit this park hard with my V3i and my E-Trac. I hit it again with my E-Trac in early Feb. I didn't expect much but I had to try with the 800. I hunted the same areas outside the playing area as I always do. After 25' or so I hit my 1st quarter. I expected to find a coin or two because you always seem to miss a few here and there. I hunted and area about 15' wide by 75 yards long and I was shocked I pulled out $4.80 in clad. Some one had been here before me recently because he didn't even cover some holes and the ones he did were just kicked in. I made a cpl passes in the playing area and found one quarter but I didn't expect much. I went to the other side and because there are two rows of bleachers I always hit that area extra hard. I started out hitting nothing but tabs so I didn't dig but then I hit a dime and one after another. A few quarters and pennies and I kept saying to myself I couldn't have left that much behind or is the 800 just that good. Before I left and I was wore out I found another $2.23. I know parks replenish themselves but I had just hit this field a month ago. I am going to try the other fields across the street that I have even hit harder just so keep the 800 honest. Before I hit the other fields I have to finish my honey hole I been detecting. I hunted the soccer field yesterday because there was an Easter Egg hunt at my honey hole. 

I have also been hunting a public park for a week. As of this morning I have pulled out $52 in clad and two silver rings with my 800. 

Someone else has been hunting the park as well and hitting it pretty hard. I can tell by the numerous plugs. That person either has a detector they don't know how to use or one far inferior to the 800. He may not have a pin pointer either because two days in a row I have pulled coins out of many of the plugs I have detected over. Even covering the same area I been killing the clad. 

I kept track this morning and I pulled 90 cents in clad out of the plugs he cut. I also found a quarter at 12" in one of his plugs. I only went 12" just to see if it was a can or bottle cap falsing but it wasn't. 

I adjust the sensitivity when I get a mixed signal and can usually pick out the good target by doing so. The park is loaded with tabs and bottle caps but the 800 ignores most or I can tell by the chatter. 

• Like 1

On April 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Norm S said:

The park is loaded with tabs and bottle caps but the 800 ignores most or I can tell by the chatter. 

Please elaborate on how the Equinox is able to ignore these? CTX ignores bottle caps but not pull tabs so how can the Equinox ignore both? Just a friendly question :smile:

strick

I would like the answer also ... and $50+ from the park is darn good.

Mitchel

What I was saying is the only bottle caps that it seems to pick up is Colt 45  or a Bush cap on occasion and as far as pull tabs go I miss stated that, it's me that ignores them. I can tell by the sound or chatter to ignore them. They bounce between 12 - 14. A nickel at 13 is a very solid 13 so anything else I have learned to ignore. I don't  try and science out the detector I just listen closely and try and read into what it tells me. I rarely look at the VDI so I never know what it is till I am ready wiggle or pinpoint. 

I pulled another $6+ in clad this morning in less than an hour. I would have hunted longer but they started to mow the park so I had to leave. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Norm S said:

A nickel at 13 is a very solid 13 so anything else I have learned to ignore.

Not trying to start an argument, but in my experience nickels in Park 1 can bounce down to as low as 11 and as high as 14 and 12-13 being the sweetspot.  It may be coil control, orientation of coin, nearby trash (aluminum or iron), depth, mineralization,... -- so many variables.  Seems square tabs (unless they are bent) come in around 15 so pretty easy to ignore those.  The ring tabs tend to hit in the nickel range, depending upon whethere the beavertail is attached and if attached, its orientation.  Beavertails alone hit on the lower part of nickel range, or just below (that is 12 or 11).   At least those are my experiences so far.

• Like 1

Nickels can definitely vary from 13, especially because target id numbers vary slightly between Search Profiles. Deeper and older nickels can read lower than 13 due to mineralization or surface corrosion. 12 a possibility for sure, with 11 and 14 especially more rare.

I have been treating nickels the last couple hunts as a target of opportunity however, and so have concentrated very much on only digging what I call a “hard 13” while in Park 1. Where I have hunted recently bottle caps reading 13 are extremely rare. Like just one the last couple hunts. The only real trash target at 13 is the square tab and maybe pencil eraser holders.

My last hunt I was running sensitivity 21 or 22 in Park 1, zero iron bias, and recovery speed 7. Many square tabs feel weak at recovery 7 as I rotate around them, being both thin and rectangular. Still, some shallow ones hit hard enough I am still digging a few square tabs while recovering nickels, but they are screwdriver popping shallow so no big deal.

I have not played with frequency options yet. A lower single frequency should still have solid hits on nickels while making the square tabs even weaker.

• Like 2