800 Depth Gauge

Vez

Anyone else finding that it is saying everything is way deeper than it actually is?  This can be a detriment to the machine in a park hunt where you are trying to avoid anything 4" or shallower.

On coins, no. It's not too accurate on odd sized/shaped relics, though. It  is calibrated for coin sized objects so that would make sense.

Dean

2 hours ago, Bayard said:

It seems to work better if the machine has been ground balanced and not left on the factory default of zero.

I set mine to auto track and still said everything is 8+ :)  As a previous poster said it might have to do with the size of targets that i was hitting.

14 hours ago, Vez said:

Anyone else finding that it is saying everything is way deeper than it actually is?  This can be a detriment to the machine in a park hunt where you are trying to avoid anything 4" or shallower.

Vez I too do some discrimination by depth..

The meter is calbrated to a US quarter instead of a penny or dime size target like many other detectors..  I have been using the pinpoint audio to judge depth.. It’s a little better modulation then the target tones..  Centering up on the target also helps the depth gauge a bit.. I was hoping if Minelab ever did a software update that they could improve this feature more then any.. They know how to to depth gage well.. The CTX and E-Trac are spot on with penny size targets..

Bryan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Omg it would be nice if they did that.  I slay old coins in parks with my etrac and ctx using volume modulation and depth meter secondarily.  I want the depth of this machine amd adjustable volume gain of ctx.  Thanks for letting me know about the quarter thing.

Mine seems to work. I am in bad ground so I always ground balance. Then again, I only expect the meter to tell me shallow or deep. If it’s maxed out and the target is modulating I think “deep coin”. But I don’t worry much about it beyond that. Shallow stuff bangs harder, and really shallow triple signals. Pinpoint seems good at telling me how deep stuff is - it screams on shallow and fades on deeper. Don't know... I mainly just find targets that sound right and dig them. 

• Like 3