I Have Joined The League Of 600 Owners Waiting For An 800

Guest Tnsharpshooter

My 2 cents on the subject.

Imo lots of folks maybe buying 800 unit for the wireless headphones included.

So when the accessories start flowing like the wireless headphones.  Folks may buy 600 and the accessory wireless headphones.  Granted they will be eyeing total price difference vs the 800 unit package.

If I could invest in an index "fund" that was based on the difference in sales numbers of 600 vs. 800 in the long run (i.e., the value of the "fund" would increase in proportion to the number of 600 vs. 800 sales for the long haul), I would likely invest in the 600 index.

• Like 1

I for one could live without the wireless headphones and the wireless module as I plan on using aftermarket phones, what I cant do without is the advanced settings on the 800 over the 600. One thing we have to remember is we are living in completely different markets, the price point is more favourable for the 600 vs 800 in North America compared to Europe where the 600 comes in at €795 (£679, $980) vs €1000 (£879, $1232) for the 800. With prices like that the difference is not as pronounced as in NA, and we are not talking cheap machines anymore.

• Like 1

Well like all things Minelab vs Minelab I doubt either outcome worries Minelab much. Kind of like Equinox vs CTX vs E- Trac vs Excalibur. When all the discussion is all about which Minelab is best with other brands tossed in as an afterthought... what manufacturer would not love those kinds of arguments!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ringmoney said:

I for one could live without the wireless headphones and the wireless module as I plan on using aftermarket phones, what I cant do without is the advanced settings on the 800 over the 600. One thing we have to remember is we are living in completely different markets, the price point is more favourable for the 600 vs 800 in North America compared to Europe where the 600 comes in at €795 (£679, $980) vs €1000 (£879, $1232) for the 800. With prices like that the difference is not as pronounced as in NA, and we are not talking cheap machines anymore.

Exactly, experienced, hard core detectorists generally couldn't live without those features (sorry, I do need my wireless phones on land, though) and/or settings, but many "casual" detectorists can be happy without them and even the "smaller" $250US price delta can be considered huge for those folks.  ML doesn't offer the "in between" option, which is the 800 without the supplied wireless hardware, and many folks would rather then get the 600 rather than have hardware accessories "forced upon them"  (this is a matter of perception for some, not an opinion I subscribe to) that they don't believe they need or want. 

51 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

My 2 cents on the subject.

Imo lots of folks maybe buying 800 unit for the wireless headphones included.

So when the accessories start flowing like the wireless headphones.  Folks may buy 600 and the accessory wireless headphones.  Granted they will be eyeing total price difference vs the 800 unit package.

I don't know why they would do that, there are plenty of good APT-x LL headphones available now. I got a pair for $50 before my 600 even arrived.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well like all things Minelab vs Minelab I doubt either outcome worries Minelab much. Kind of like Equinox vs CTX vs E- Trac vs Excalibur. When all the discussion is all about which Minelab is best with other brands tossed in as an afterthought... what manufacturer would not love those kinds of arguments!!

Again we are in a total different market, its all about how will it compares to the cute little French thing over here lol, but I think this is exactly what Minelab had in mind with the Equinox. 

• Like 1

I got my 600 when I found one available and thinking the 800 was weeks away yet   

Then multiple storms hit and we lost power for a week and my 800 showed up by surprise.  

So, I worked on my modifications and got my first chances to use both in the snow free patches. I now have about 12 hours of use between the 600 and 800 and I've taken to alternating between them. I'm noticing very little difference at all between them. I know I can sell the 600 easily even as modified, but I can't decide if I should or just keep it, especially as the equinox will be all I use and will see a lot of use. I hope to get as proficient as anyone in using them, and keeping up with all the posts on this forum.  Where else would I want to be?

• Like 2

I have the 600; and, while I would have paid more for the 800 had it been available at the time, I'm not sure I will get the 800 once it does hit the shelves.  Sure I would like the additional tone and swing adjustments, but I just don't feel I have run into anything for which the 800 would have made a difference.  For now, my one gripe is that the 600's backlighting is way too bright, but that can be addressed with a piece of red film.