So, one of the reasons the equinox appealed to me was because its such an all around detector, including being able to use in the water. So, now that I have a waterproof detector, I'd like to try doing a little freshwater lake and river detecting. I don't want to spend a lot on equipment since its not something I'll be doing a lot of. I was looking at the Quest Scoopal anyone have an opinion on it, or recommendations on something else? What other equipment do you need for water detecting?

Just some friendly advice.  Your scoop choice should be based on the type bottom you are most likely to encounter.  Is it rocky, shells, mud, clay, sand?  I hunt both freshwater lakes, rivers, and saltwater beaches.  One scoop won't cover it all.  I have a Stealth 920 with carbon fiber handle.  Most expensive scoop I own. On the saltwater sand and beach, it is priceless!  But at the lake or river, it is useless.  Our lake beaches are mostly mud/clay, shell, and shoal.  While I love the light weight of the Stealth and the width of the basket opening...it just can't bite into the shell or rock, and does a horrible job with the clay.  For that, I use a Nuttall diamond head.  It is narrower than the Stealth and much heavier.  But it can handle the clay and shells and some of the rocks.  Now, in a river situation with lots of rocks...a scoop is worthless anyway.  Unfortunately, I don't have any great suggestions for that other than to use a pick of some sort and waterproof pinpointer.  I actually gave up river hunting due to not having an effective and efficient way to recover targets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GVOL, you make some nice looking scoops, what design have you found works the best?

I haven't ordered one yet, but I found a place that has a RTG 6 in aluminum scoop with stainless steel lip in with the travel handle, I like that combination of features.

The main thing like was said try to match your scoop to the bottom you are dealing with.   The RTG especially with the SS lip is pretty durable..... but you might find it a little heavy.  Some of the RTGs will roll rather than dig too because of the rounded nose.   You might consider making yourself a sifter........ so much easier to find targets in fresh water ponds or lakes....... especially with mud.   Pretty easy to make with PVC and plastic mesh.   They you can wave your coil over it if need be.  Some even use a PPer.   You may find a need for a pouch to hold your finds and trash.  Good pair of hard bottom shoes..... or dive boots.   If you are digging AM...... consider putting a magnet in the bottom to catch iron trash.  Targets disintegrat MUCH slower in fresh water so some places may have a lot of trash to sift thru.

Well, I do know that some of the bottom I'd be dealing with is sand and zebra mussels shells. I recall in a conversation I had with a water detectorist last year, that the zebra mussels shells are a pain, but I don't recall exactly why. I'd think you'd want as big of holes as possible to allow the shells to pass through. 

If you use a sifter, what do you use to scoop?

You use a sifter along with a scoop.   The sifter comes in handy with mud, shells or rocks.   scoop..... and dump in the sifter.  it can be a fast way to deal with material and find a target.   Any kind of larger shells where there are a lot of them can be a pain to dig thru.  Seems you are always right on top of one trying to find a spot that will let the nose of the scoop in.   You do want the right size holes for your conditions....... but also for the targets you are looking for.  To large and it drops thru.   Here in Fl ..... sand and shells a 1/2 hole works well for me.   If conditions change an i have a ton of shells piled up ...... i take a scoop, empty it..... and relocate the target.  That sometimes is easier than lifting a scoop full of shells i know wont shake out.   lifting a full scoop of anything over hours...... and years is physically demanding so you look for better ways..... or you will have shoulder, back, and arm issues. 

I have an Australian made stainless steel Sito scoop 170mm wide (just the right size for my bad back)

There is also a bigger 200mm size for fit people 

He makes these  for Whites USA so its not just me who thinks these are good

the below link is in Australian $ so it should be cheaper in USD

http://www.sitoscoop.com/products/sito-sand-scoop-170mm

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Steve,

How do you like the take down scoop with the stainless steel lip? That is one I was considering.