More Depth From A Gold Bug 2

got my eye on a gold bug 2 ...i see other coils available for it ...my question is...how much more depth would I be able to get out of a bigger coil such as the 14"...and would I get the small stuff as well as the big stuff...and I plan on submerging the coil if I can on more than one occasion...
thanks for any help...

The Gold Bug 2 is interesting in that it probably shows more difference between an air test and an in ground test than any other prospecting detector. The super high frequency is hot on tiny gold but also reacts strongly to ground mineralization. That means small coils work best, because large coils see too much ground. The large Gold Bug 2 coil will of course cover more ground, but in anything other than mild ground can actually give you less depth, not more. However, in very mild ground it can perform well.

The 6" coil almost never leaves my Gold Bug 2. I think of the 10" coil as the big coil. The 14" I generally do not recommend unless you have mild ground. I did use a 14" coil to find a 5 ounce nugget at good depth at Ganes Creek, Alaska. In milder ground the 14" coil will punch deeper on large gold, as show by this chart.

post-1-0-66213600-1422681241_thumb.jpg

thnx steve...i live in n. cali and the soil here is pretty hot as my neighbor puts it.. i plan on buying something for depth(come on taxes) but I think I'll go ahead and get this one anyway...

does the gold bug 2 coil work good submerged???

Just the coil ...i don't trust my waterproofing techniques...i can't waterproof a flashlight that good ..I'm not gonna even try to waterproof an $800 machine... lol lol thnx again... I still have my plan set to get the Nokta Fors Gold...