First 3 Hours With The Nox

strick

Nice Gold Strick... and in your first few hours with the Equinox!!  More to come I'm sure.  I am digging a bit more iron than with other machines as well... most of that I consider my trying to make an iffy signal a good target... I have been using some of the tips from other users to try and minimize the iron, I just need more time to sharpen those skills.  Looking forward to your next report.  Tim.

• Like 1

Field 1 is 2 tone with 0 Fe bias.  I did a lot of iron chasing after deep iffy signals like I would with my ctx.  The difference was that some of those iffy signals on the CTX were keepers and NONE of them have been keepers on the 800.  All the keepers have sounded really good when I find them and usually I can get them at a 45 degree rotation.  I bumped up my iron bias to 3 and that has helped a lot too.

Edit:  Try the 45 and bump up the iron bias and see if this works for you in your soil :)

• Like 3

Awesome first hunt, like the cache coin and who can argue with a gold ring :biggrin:  Looks like you have a good relic site!

Nails....yeah, if I chase the really iffy stuff, I seem to dig some nails.  I don't think it's any different then chasing those really wonky iffy signals with my other machines, and after a while you kind of stop doing it  :wink: 

For relic hunting I've been mainly using Field2.  I did try Field1, switched it to 50 tone, and it was OK too, but I felt that Field2 was hotter.

Next time I have ample time to do some extra testing, I'll start testing how the reactivity speed and iron bias work, as I've left everything (aside from tones) on the stock settings up to this point, and the EQ800 has hunted pretty well. 

• Like 5

I've been waiting patiently for your reports on the Eqx, Strick, but obviously not as patient as you've been.  Very good first 3 hours and lots of even better time will be spent in the future.  I think many (most?, all?) of us haven't even scratched the surface of what this detector is capable of.  How exciting is that thought?!

• Like 1

Sweet ring! That's got to be an awesome feeling pulling that out of the ground knowing you had likely missed it before. I left some for you in Pismo last week so have fun while you're there. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Nice finds, Strick!

Like Cal said, after a while you just stop digging those really iffy signals. Start trusting in the machine, I guess.

Dean

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bado1 said:

Nice finds, Strick!

Like Cal said, after a while you just stop digging those really iffy signals. Start trusting in the machine, I guess.

Dean

yep most of the iffy stuff turns out to be junk....but you never know till you dig...so I still dig lots of crap hoping it's a good target next to iron or something else thats masking it. Hit another park...yesterday....no gold but got a small silver ring... ID in the copper penny range. 

strick 

20180401_183328.jpg

20180401_184024.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work! It's a fun machine.

I stated before that I've yet to be surprised by an iffy target being something good. You can tell when there is a good target surrounded by junk due to the machine's incredible recovery speed and laser beam separation. So far, if I get good tones from 90* and stable numbers (just a couple digit bounce) it's a target worthy of a dig. If the numbers bounce around a lot and I'm unable to get a "lock" or only good tones from just direction and a grunt from the other...it's junk every time.

I did something kinda fun the other day. I only had a very short time to hunt so I decided to cherry pick only the higher tones. So I disc"ed everything out below 22. I haven't ever dug a IHP here and didn't want to hear zinc. Wow, talk about quiet! I went home with a BIG handful of copper pennies, dimes, and quarters. No silver, unfortunately. It is amazing how many good targets you can dig when you don't waste time chasing the bad! You can cover so much ground with this machine due to it's speed. It's a cherry picking monster.

Dean

• Like 4