Batteries Replaceable By Users - Minelab Email...

Saw this on Treasurenet. Someone was going back and forth with Minelab about repairs after warranty expiration on the Equinox. The final response from Minelab was as follows:

Hi David,

I do apologize
about the long wait in reply in regards to the Equinox repair.

Yes, customers will be able to purchase a new control box, armrest or shaft components if their out of warranty machine has become unusable. These will still need to be purchased from a service
centre though. Customers will also be able to purchase batteries and change them themselves.
You will be able to purchase coils through your dealership though.

Kind Regards,

Minelab Service

That's new, because virtually everyone has been saying the batteries had to be replaced by a service center without voiding the warranty. This is VERY good news because lithium-iron batteries will eventually no longer hold a full charge.

Just be aware though, that if you replace your own battery before the 3 year warrant runs out and the battery compartment seal is damaged and water floods the control box destroying the board etc. your warranty on the control box is going to be null and void. Everything else that had the 3 year warranty that was not damaged by the water intrusion would still carry the remainder of the 3 year warranty.

When the service depot changes the battery and say damages the seal, your warrant is still going to be good for the remainder of the 3 years....free repair.

The battery is only warrantied for 1 year (12 months) , from the date of purchase and if you change it yourself...beware! Please read Minelab's email to customers on Feb 21, 2018. Here is an extract:

"We at Minelab stand behind both the ingenuity as well as the quality of our products. For clarity, The EQUINOX control box and coils are covered under warranty for a period of 3 years (36 months) from the date of purchase. The Lithium-ion battery contained in the handle is replaceable and is also covered under warranty for a period of 1 year (12 months) from the date of purchase. Minelab recommends using an Authorized Service Centre (ASC) for battery replacement to avoid potentially damaging the waterproof seal during replacement, which could void the 3-year detector warranty."

2 hours ago, Tyran said:

The battery is only warrantied for 1 year (12 months) , from the date of purchase and if you change it yourself...beware! Please read Minelab's email to customers on Feb 21, 2018. Here is an extract:

"We at Minelab stand behind both the ingenuity as well as the quality of our products. For clarity, The EQUINOX control box and coils are covered under warranty for a period of 3 years (36 months) from the date of purchase. The Lithium-ion battery contained in the handle is replaceable and is also covered under warranty for a period of 1 year (12 months) from the date of purchase. Minelab recommends using an Authorized Service Centre (ASC) for battery replacement to avoid potentially damaging the waterproof seal during replacement, which could void the 3-year detector warranty."

I've had my battery out a couple of times taking pictures, I have to say, you'd almost have to go out of your way to screw the seals up. But, I'm sure someone could find a way to damage them if they weren't paying attention to how the pod goes back in.

14 hours ago, Tyran said:

And if you want to see the actual email graphic, its in the thread linked in my post above.  Just running a test to make sure my posts are not invisible.  :rolleyes:

What needs to happen is a video on the correct way to replace the batteries. Most guys won't have any problems at all but not all people have the mechanical inclination to be able to do it properly. There will always be that 5% that try to replace the battery and screw it up and void the warranty somehow.

On 4/9/2018 at 7:54 AM, Norm S said:

What needs to happen is a video on the correct way to replace the batteries. Most guys won't have any problems at all but not all people have the mechanical inclination to be able to do it properly. There will always be that 5% that try to replace the battery and screw it up and void the warranty somehow.

I nominate Dan(NM).  :laugh:

Wonder what the price of the battery will be ?

I have heard / read that you can buy replacement batteries elsewhere but i cannot remember where from .

Wonder how many charges you can charge before it starts to lose power ? I keep a note of my charges .

I am guessing I will know in a year or so when my battery dies but what is also cool you can use an alternate power source but not sure it would work if you have a bad battery