Equinox Videos Strictly On Gold Prospecting And Detecting

I'm moving to Costa Rica soon and I want to bring an Equinox 800 with me to detect down there. I've been all over the place on what detector I want to bring and I decided on the Equinox 800 since it covers all the areas I'd like to use it. The hundreds of beaches on the coast because it's silent in wet salt and waterproof, little swimming holes and rivers because it's waterproof, in fields just to see what I can dig up and also on and around old mining grounds to check the spoils piles and see if anything was left behind. This is the reason I would like to see videos on gold detecting with the Equinox since I've watched videos about almost everything else, park, beach, and field. If anyone could point me to some it would be awesome! I was hoping to see some videos from people in australia but I can't really find anything. Maybe I'm not searching correctly

I have an AT Pro which I will probably give to my cousin and detecting partner when I leave because I have started using the Tesoro Mojave and the Compadre and I have really jived with it. I will bring those two down with me also but since they aren't waterproof I think the Equinox would suit me well.

Just a little background, my wife is from there and we've been slowly building a house down there for probably the last 10 years. It's done now and her and my 2 girls are living there and just waiting for me to get my butt down there. We live in the northeast province of Guanacaste near the town of Tilaran. Around there, there have been mines near Rio Chiquito and Abangares and there is a place called Campos de Oro, or Gold Fields near these mines. I'd like to take the equinox to rivers and try to do a little detecting and panning for gold in those areas. Thanks!

Here are a couple of YT videos.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2018 at 11:38 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

What is it you are hoping to see?

I just wanted to see how people are swinging it, the tones they are hearing, what they are digging, why they decide to dig the target. To be honest most videos are kind of lacking to me personally. I mean I love seeing finds but show the swinging before the find, let us hear the tone and mention what it is about that tone that makes you want to dig it. I don't make videos, and I don't think I will, so excuse the criticism but I do think things could be done better. Like field videos should have the swing, the hit, the tone, the dig. Not just a hole at each take and something coming out of it. Be a little more informative. The air tests and the nail tests should be done with an approaching swing as if you were in the field, not just swinging right over the target and doing short little back and fourths. That would make it more believable that you can hit something in that scenario in the field with your wide swings.

Lunk, I've seen both of those videos and I liked the first one best. Thank you though!

• Like 3

On 4/7/2018 at 7:26 AM, DukeBoxer said:

I'm moving to Costa Rica soon and I want to bring an Equinox 800 with me to detect down there. I've been all over the place on what detector I want to bring and I decided on the Equinox 800 since it covers all the areas I'd like to use it. The hundreds of beaches on the coast because it's silent in wet salt and waterproof, little swimming holes and rivers because it's waterproof, in fields just to see what I can dig up and also on and around old mining grounds to check the spoils piles and see if anything was left behind. This is the reason I would like to see videos on gold detecting with the Equinox since I've watched videos about almost everything else, park, beach, and field. If anyone could point me to some it would be awesome! I was hoping to see some videos from people in australia but I can't really find anything. Maybe I'm not searching correctly

I have an AT Pro which I will probably give to my cousin and detecting partner when I leave because I have started using the Tesoro Mojave and the Compadre and I have really jived with it. I will bring those two down with me also but since they aren't waterproof I think the Equinox would suit me well.

Just a little background, my wife is from there and we've been slowly building a house down there for probably the last 10 years. It's done now and her and my 2 girls are living there and just waiting for me to get my butt down there. We live in the northeast province of Guanacaste near the town of Tilaran. Around there, there have been mines near Rio Chiquito and Abangares and there is a place called Campos de Oro, or Gold Fields near these mines. I'd like to take the equinox to rivers and try to do a little detecting and panning for gold in those areas. Thanks!

Nice place to go to Costa Rica, plan myself to go to Costa Rica in a few years from now, but go to the Osa Peninsula lots of gold and nuggets in Osa.The Equinox is a good choice, but keep in mind of the rechargeable battery, if it kicks the bucket in the future, you will have problems having it repaired ! ( don't, think there are any service centers in Costa Rica to replace your battery) .Make sure you get a good power back up to run your NOX 800 incase this happens! And get a spare internal battery as a safety backup so you can go in Costa Rica to a tech.shop and have it replaced!

Not sure they have a Minelab dealer in Costa Rica, I thought the main importer is in Panama, to be sure contact Minelab and ask them if they have a dealer or service center in Costa Rica or the nearest one in Middle America! Or when you have problems in the future you can always ship it back to the US service center, this will cost you off course.

Let us know how you are doing with your prospecting for gold in Sunny Costa Rica! And make us some pics and vids. As you probably know metal detecting is a loud by law in Costa Rica also panning and sluicing for gold, but no motorized equipment, not even electric or battery operated are aloud

In Costa Rica. Local Government is very strict about it, and have stopped all mining in the country,  they want to protect their nature, since eco tourism this in their main source of income !

Yeah DukeBoxer, there just isn’t a whole lot of videos out there showing nugget detecting with the EQX; I assume it’s because most of the purchasers are coin, relic and/or jewelry hunters.

From your description of what you like to see in a video, I think you would really like the offerings from Gordon Heritage, if you haven’t seen them already. Although he uses a 2-tone setup,  I enjoyed them for the same reasons you mentioned:

https://youtu.be/_Mlu1zwsdpo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phrunt, nice gold! I don't think I saw that picture before, maybe it just didn't load. I have high hopes for the Equinox down there to find me a couple little guys like that and that picture proves yet again it can do it! I went one day with my father-in-law and we were panning in a river, rio chiquito, above where an old mine was and I got down to black sand but there was no gold. I had never panned before but I watched some videos and thought I'd try it out. We took an old aluminum pot that was shaped like a gold pan from my mother-in-law and used that. I do swear though that at one point I had the pot full of rocks and sand and I saw a piece of quartz with a little bit of gold in it...right as it was falling out of the pan and back into the river and then it was gone.

Whitbey, I've heard only great things about Osa. My wife went there on a school trip, she studied eco-tourism. The closest I've been to there is Golfito but it's on my list of places to go when we're settled in. I was talking to her the other day and told her I wanted to get the equinox to bring down there to use on the beaches and rivers for jewelry hunting and she rolled her eyes at me. Then I asked her to tell me how many people she's ever seen there detecting, her answer was no one.

I haven't checked to see about a Minelab dealer there and that might be a problem so I'll get on that right away!!

Lunk, I've stumbled across his videos and I've liked what I saw. I'll get to watching more now that you reminded me! Thanks everyone

• Like 2