Loose Rods, Wobbly Rods, Rod Flex

The Anderson shafts are generally designed for hardcore water hunters and have features that cater to that market segment. I am fine with the stock rod for use with the stock coil, but I am sure I will have to use a stouter shaft in the water when using the 15" coil underwater.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After 12-14h of use, my lower rod seems to get loose :unsure:

If I quickly "wiggle" the detector, I feel the rod /coil moving and I can twist the coil against (? don't know the right word) the upper rod / control unit by hand without using much force. The camlock is fully tightened.

What do you think - is this normal?

I've waited 7 month for this thing to arrive.. needing to send it in for service is like a nightmare :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sinclair said:

After 12-14h of use, my lower rod seems to get loose :unsure:

If I quickly "wiggle" the detector, I feel the rod /coil moving and I can twist the coil against (? don't know the right word) the upper rod / control unit by hand without using much force. The camlock is fully tightened.

What do you think - is this normal?

I've waited 7 month for this thing to arrive.. needing to send it in for service is like a nightmare :blink:

I'm in the same boat but didn't wait 7 months.:wink:Try this and see if it will help you avoid the separation. If you look inside the shaft at the lower camlock you  can see a small arm that moves as you turn the knob. If you put a small felt cabinet door bumper or something similar on it the lower shaft  will tighten right up. I used a small patch , about 8mm in diameter, that I cut from a piece of self adhesive velco (the hooky side) and it stopped the lower shaft from rotating. Be sure to have the knob fully loosened when you insert the lower shaft , you have to take care to get the lower rod in the upper without dislodging the "shim" but once it's beyond  that it will snug right up. Unfortunately , it looks like I will be returning mine to have the screen replaced anyway. Most likely they will just send me a new unit without all the bugs this time.

• Like 1

I have used my 800 for 10 - 11 hrs and have noticed that if i have the coil on the ground ,

and reach to change frequencies ( saved ) on the side of the panel , there is play in the shafts/camlocks.

i re-tightened them at the time . but the issue is still present, so i may try the felt remedy .

My parents always said “If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all”.  So, I'm not going to say that compared to my ATPro shaft locks I think my 800 cam locks are pretty poor.

On 20.4.2018 at 1:59 PM, Dusty said:

I'm in the same boat but didn't wait 7 months.:wink:Try this and see if it will help you avoid the separation. If you look inside the shaft at the lower camlock you  can see a small arm that moves as you turn the knob. If you put a small felt cabinet door bumper or something similar on it the lower shaft  will tighten right up. I used a small patch , about 8mm in diameter, that I cut from a piece of self adhesive velco (the hooky side) and it stopped the lower shaft from rotating. Be sure to have the knob fully loosened when you insert the lower shaft , you have to take care to get the lower rod in the upper without dislodging the "shim" but once it's beyond  that it will snug right up. Unfortunately , it looks like I will be returning mine to have the screen replaced anyway. Most likely they will just send me a new unit without all the bugs this time.

I'll take a look.. thanks.

Does anybody know which parts get changed?

Are the rods to small in diameter, or is the twist clamp the problem?

Is the clamp even replaceable, or do they change the whole section?

I ask, because maybe I can get the dealer to send me some spare parts without having to send the machine in.

Edit: Just found the other thread:

On 15.3.2018 at 8:55 PM, Againstmywill said:

I called Minelab and asked about just having the middle rod shipped to me instead of sending it in. I was told that, per management, the whole detector needs to be returned.

Duuuh! Tutto completto with accessories? Oh man .. Minelab come on!

The newly listed service centre for germany doesn't wake good remindings in my brain.. :wacko:

Mine is loose... I tried and tried to keep it tight, but to no avail---

I was just  putting up with it because i was so excited to see how she ran on the beach-- i merely twisted the top lock every so often and went on with it..

I dont have time to send it back cause it is going to OZ with me in 13 days..... I may try the felt shim dealy boppie and call it good.

When I find that 10 oz nugget in OZ with it i will give it away and buy a new one (if they are avalable..lol)

NAw, changed my mind, if I find a 10 ozer with it I am keeping her for a trophy detector:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 9:00 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The Anderson shafts are generally designed for hardcore water hunters and have features that cater to that market segment. I am fine with the stock rod for use with the stock coil, but I am sure I will have to use a stouter shaft in the water when using the 15" coil underwater.

I think you are correct there Steve.... i just used it in knee high surf---i didnt realize how much force was on the coil until then--and that was with the 11 incher

Minelab is certainly aware of the rod issues. They were unable to reproduce the screen flaw issue I was having but in the course of e-mails the issue of the rod came up and was resolved by replacement without hesitation. Living in the desert I never hunt water so having to search out an alternate shaft should not even have to be a consideration any more so than with any other detector. I'm sure the entire issue is a real fly in their bonnet right now. The felt pad works. Maybe in the next shipment they will include a 6 pack of felt bumpers and instructions with the first word in the instructions being ,"If".