Equinox Micro Nuggets - Part II

Condor

Summer has come early here in the Desert Southwest, Sunny Yuma.  Mid 90's today, approaching 100 through the week,  must be a climate change kind of thing.  I had time to spare this morning so I took the Equinox out to an area of old Dry Wash tailings I found recently.  I found a number of small pieces last week with the Z7000, so I wanted to see what the Z had missed.  I fired up the Equinox in Gold Prospecting 2, "made sure recovery speed reset to 6", Sens at 22, notched out -9 through -6 which covers most hot rocks down here.  I moved through the old coarse and fine throw-out tailings, low and slow.  I had to double check a number of hard black hot rocks that tried to blow through my notch.  They generally sound off in one direction only and are easily moved with a boot scrape.  I started finding these tiny nuggets about an inch or so down, resting on a layer of red clay.  The Equinox was  audibly sounding off with a classic "Gold Bug II" kind of Zip tone, though choppy and broken at low and slow.  Unfortunately, the Screen  VID could not keep up.  It was generally showing -8 of the red clay, but the audible target tone was breaking through no problem and was so crisp and clear that I knew I had to dig.  I'm using higher end EarBud earphones plugged directly into the machine. 

What I've learned so far:  1.  Higher recovery speed helps control bump falsing.  It's still there, but manageable.   2.  Don't rely on the VID to identify gold.  Even when these targets were out of the hole, the VID ranged from 1 through 9. 

3.  The 11" coil is plenty sensitive on small gold.  I don't see a 6" coil in my future.  A solid 5"X10", heck yes.  4.  The Equinox is as good as any VLF gold prospecting detector out there, if you take the time to know the machine and learn it's language.  As always it helps to get the coil over some gold to build confidence. 

020.jpg

021.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Condor,

Wow! Nice small gold nuggets you found with the NOX , keep us posted on your other finds and the settings you are using.

BTW, what high end EarBuds are you using with the Equinox, yours seam's to be working well!

PS Thanks for your posts, and to keep us informed on finding gold nuggets in the desert.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Nice gold, Steve!  Your reports are of special interest to me because I work similar areas to yours...wish I lived as close to the gold as you do! 

fred

Me too Fred...

• Like 2