Consolidated Thread For Issues / Bugs / Flaws .. ?

Sinclair

7 hours ago, SittingElf said:

While I didn't have much luck at the beach yesterday, it was my first beach outing with the 600 and I learned quite a bit.

Totally amazed at the depth at which this detector will find the very smallest bits. I dug 12" in the sand yesterday to find a very small sliver of aluminum... smaller than my little fingernail. Wow!  Wasn't what I was hoping for, but very impressed nonetheless. These Equinox's rock!

Yep the Equinox is amazingly deep at the beach on mid-conductors but it can't keep the beach from being sanded in.  Lol.

Like I've said before, it isn't necessarily what you found (keepers) but what you are finding (deep mid-conductive "trash") that tells the tale of what may lie ahead in terms of the capability to pull some deep keepers if you can get the coil over them. 

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Like 1

I got my 800 back from Minelab yesterday and they replaced the control pod. I am headed out to hunt shortly and I will see if the pinpoint is the same as it was before. Meaning sometimes it goes silent when you pass over the target but comes back if you move away and sweep again. 

More often than not I chalk up anomalies to inexperience and as long as the detector seems to be working fine and I blow it off. My experience with other detectors that seemed to be acting crazy was me not having it set right or even forgot to ground balance and a few times it was emi. 

I seemed to go through it with every new detector I bought. The 1st 100 hours I was ready to trash can them several times. The Equinox is different and I fell in love with it in the 1st 4 hours but that may have been because I was finding keepers from the 1st 5 minutes. 

48 minutes ago, Norm S said:

Meaning sometimes it goes silent when you pass over the target but comes back if you move away and sweep again. 

I have learned when that happens, to move the coil away from the target and double-click the pinpoint button. (off then on), it almost always comes back strong!

• Like 1

Sometimes not clear whether it's a bug or a feature I haven't yet figured out. With pinpointing, I have run into a bug where the tone "sticks" at a fairly high level and won't go off (no matter where the coil is placed, even in air) until I exit and reenter the pinpoint mode.

I don't frequent these parts much anymore since I don't do a lot of prospecting  but the Equinox intrigued me enough to give one a try. This thread caught my eye as my unit as well as a few others I have seen and heard of are showing an issue with the LCD having a bubble which appears almost dead center of the screen. It started showing up on mine(800) after the 6th or 7th use and comes and goes with severity but I was able to catch a pic of it to send to Minelab , but no response yet,,,,and no , it's not from leaving a screen protector under the freshly installed zagg.

It does not appear to handicap the performance  but I have not been enamored with the detector and will most likely pass it on but cannot in good conscience do that without a remedy for the situation first. I was not impressed with the overall quality of the unit but accept that as being a part of the price range. The next model Minelab introduces will surely have a less obsolete style of shaft and arm cuff I am sure , and deservedly , for a few bucks more

44 minutes ago, Dusty said:

have not been enamored with the detector

Thanks for mentioning the bubble issue, hadn’t heard of that one and will look out for it (are you located in a high altitude area?)

Care to elaborate on the above statement, though? 

Is it performance issues or the ergonomics preferences you mentioned (the alternative shaft preferences seem to be addressed by any number of third party shaft offerings already out there).  

Not familiar with the latest in non-obsolete arm cuff technology though, what is the best design out there right now, in your opinion?  I added a pad called “The Cuffer” to mine.

Thanks.

Consistent altitude above 5000' but it's all relative.Instead of an alternate shaft necessity I would have preferred a collapsible Deus ,Etrac , CTX type design but I understand cost issues as well when they were obviously trying to cut into the Deus sales. If a modern shaft would have pushed the cost up 150 - $200 it loses a great deal of it's Deus killer qualities. It's nose heavy like an 11" Deus which makes the need for an arm cuff strap less of an issue and then they dropped the ball , as did XP , with the chintzy arm cuff. Best arm cuff????? F75 without a doubt