Nice!  Congrats!!!!

A couple notes. Even at Recovery Speed 7 Equinox gets the depth in bad ground. I also think fast Recovery Speeds plus 50 tones does accentuate the tonal difference between nickels and square tabs. And I have no proof of this, just a gut feeling, but Equinox seems to not lose any appreciable depth from aggressive notching. These last settings were super quiet and would make a good "silver program" for places unlikely to have the oldest coins. Like 1930 and newer.

I sure like this detector! My ear just keeps getting better with it. Anyone giving up on Equinox with less than 100 hours is not really giving it enough of a chance. There is nuance and power here aplenty that reveals the more you use the machine.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

A couple notes. Even at Recovery Speed 7 Equinox gets the depth in bad ground. I also think fast Recovery Speeds plus 50 tones does accentuate the tonal difference between nickels and square tabs. And I have no proof of this, just a gut feeling, but Equinox seems to not lose any appreciable depth from aggressive notching . These last settings were super quiet and would make a good "silver program" for places unlikely to have the oldest coins. Like 1930 and newer.

I sure like this detector! My ear just keeps getting better with it. Anyone giving up on Equinox with less than 100 hours is not really giving it enough of a chance. There is nuance and power here aplenty that reveals the more you use the machine.

100% agree on all points.  I truly enjoy detecting with this machine.  I love hearing all these success stories.  Everyone needs to keep in mind the good finds don't come every time out, regardless of what machine you use.  But the Equinox does give you an added edge.

• Like 1

Steve --

The firsts keep coming for you!  SEATED!  My favorite coins!  They are few and far between here in Oklahoma, and it's always nice when one shows itself in a plug/hole.  OUTSTANDING!

First V, first Indian, first Seated, first 1800s coin, and then bested by an OLDER 1800s coin...

I'd say you are killing it!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Awesome coin Steve!  You better be careful.  Your likely to get hooked on coin hunting if you keep this up.

Very nice coin, and a hard one to get in most areas out West..

Bryan

• Like 2

It is really fun to read about your hunts and the bonus is getting to see your settings.

I am really having fun with the Eq. too. I am hunting a park that is just littered with coins, it's unbelievable actually. But very few old coins and so far, no silver. I have been playing with Park1 and 2,  Field  1 and 2. If I get an interesting hit I switch through all four settings (after ground balancing them all etc.), and it is quite educational to listen to each Mode's response on the same target. Sometimes I will get an "iffy" but interesting sound. If I cycle through the four settings I find it helps clarify my decision to dig or not. I am about to try notching out bigger sections of the VDI and see how that goes as well. But today, without notching out zinc pennies, I just skipped digging the obvious 21's and concentrated on nickels, dimes, quarters and weird sounding hits. 

coins.jpg

• Like 4