My New Plastic Digger Tool Invisible To Pinpointer

I wish you all the best with your new digging tool. I too have something like what you have that was given to me . I found it works okay if the ground is not rock hard but when it gets too that it just don’t cut it.

The Best

Chuck

I didn't expect it to actually dig. I just want to scoop up loose dirt and pass it over the pinpointer, But I'm impressed with the strength of it. And for less than $3 shipped 2nd day FedEX, it's quite a bargain. If it can also dig--That will be a bonus. We'll see, if the good weather lasts 'til I have time to test it.

I think it will also come in handy when the grandchildren want to help me dig. Much safer for them to use.

On what you said it would be the safe thing to have with kids around. I too know kids will stick their hand in a hole before you know it.

I’ve seen some ground if it’s not wet a little you need a jack hammer 

I been hunting coins and before I knew it I had a flock of kids around me. To keep maybe a get kid from getting his hand cut I’d just pickup and leave.

Take care

Chuck

I have one that I use on the beach in dry, loose sand.  I only use it in fields and dirt AFTER cutting a proper plug that requires a sharp metal digger. Plastic just won't cut a replaceable plug very well.

Cheers

• Like 1

Unfortunately, you can't scoop up much dirt out of a small hole with a pointed trowel....

That blue one will do better.

But, I haven't found anything that that does better than your hand in a small hole.

Most holes I dig in parks are 3"-4" inches in diameter at most.  Out in the woods.... no limit!

I have (and have done) all of the above.  When I coin hunt I actually have four diggers on my belt.  Lesche, 1 in wide aluminum garden spade ("made in England"), plastic (pointed) garden spade similar to what MD-is-fun is showing, and a plastic gold scoop like Phrunt shows.  In my parks (which aren't restricted like some) I start with the Lesche.   If I'm in roots (don't want to damage any root of size greater than 1/8 in = 3 mm diameter) I use the 1" in wide.  Otherwise I clear the hole with one of the plastic units.

A lot depends on the soil and conditions.  How wet/dry, how much clay vs. loam, etc.

I know many (most?) coin hunters like to scoop out the loose soil and even feel in the hole with their hands.  The smart ones use gloves.  :biggrin:  I don't like wearing gloves except in cold conditions (mid 40's F = mid single digits C) and then I use heavy gloves just for weather protection.  I dig quite a bit of broken glass and occasionally sharp metal.  Using a tool/scoop has kept me from ever drawing blood.

As with most things MD'ing, it's what you prefer/like/get used to.  There is no "one size fits all".

• Like 2