Custom Waterproof Grey Ghost Headphones For Minelab Equinox 600 / 800 Review ( One Of A Kind ) Review

With the purchase of my new Minelab Equinox 600 (waiting for my 800 on backorder) I set out to find some needed but harder to find accessories...Headphones for the Water was my priority this time!

In this YouTube video I cover a gentleman (Tony) who is the Only United States based modifier and seller of Waterproof headphone connectors for the Minelab Equinox 600 / 800 control box and show you what he modified for me.

With little to no options out there for Waterproof headphones for the Minelab Equinox series metal detectors I was extremely excited to find Tony on a Forum.  Long story short I sent him a pair of Grey Ghost headphones and he modified them with his custom Waterproof connection, so now I am ready to take my Equinox wading/submerge once the weather here in Michigan warms up just a bit:biggrin:

The connector looks like it was professionally manufactured, just like Minelab themselves made these headphones.  If you are searching for waterproof headphone options for your new Equinox then watch this video.

I am in NO way Affiliated with the Seller of this product, I simply like to pass information along when I find products that will help others in this great hobby.

Take Care and HH.

• Like 1

Nice setup.  I ordered the adapter from Jeff Herke to wire a pair of my headphones to.  Takes some soldering skills.  Jeff gives full instructions on the wiring and sealing up the connection.

Tom

5 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Nice setup.  I ordered the adapter from Jeff Herke to wire a pair of my headphones to.  Takes some soldering skills.  Jeff gives full instructions on the wiring and sealing up the connection.

Tom

I just let people with the knowledge take care of it. Blessed with a very good job so happy to help those trying to make some money out. 

I have a pair of Tonys new phones.... great WATERPROOF.... im mean get um wet headphones.   But ive found its a pretty simple mod and ive done a couple of mine ... one with piezo and the other with audio sears.   With the parts list Tony has .... its really a pretty simple task to make that jack.   Tonys said he doesnt want a job ...... so this is very temporary so hit him up while you can.  Not a lot of damage you can do to the machine provided you remove the phones and check them routinely for water getting into the jack entrance...... then a little corrosion spray will help that.   Mono jack, M12 4 prong connector..... and some marine grade epoxy..... grab a drill and soldering iron/solder cut off the longer prong to the jack....solder your wires one to each prong and ensure the jack is even with the end of the M12 epoxy in and there ya go..... ready to hunt using your fav phones.   BUT lets give Tony his dues for taking the time to start this mod.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

I have a pair of Tonys new phones.... great WATERPROOF.... im mean get um wet headphones.   But ive found its a pretty simple mod and ive done a couple of mine ... one with piezo and the other with audio sears.   With the parts list Tony has .... its really a pretty simple task to make that jack.   Tonys said he doesnt want a job ...... so this is very temporary so hit him up while you can.  Not a lot of damage you can do to the machine provided you remove the phones and check them routinely for water getting into the jack entrance...... then a little corrosion spray will help that.   Mono jack, M12 4 prong connector..... and some marine grade epoxy..... grab a drill and soldering iron/solder cut off the longer prong to the jack....solder your wires one to each prong and ensure the jack is even with the end of the M12 epoxy in and there ya go..... ready to hunt using your fav phones.   BUT lets give Tony his dues for taking the time to start this mod.

For me it was also about convenience and "I want it now" mentality. I seen a seller on YT selling what looks to be the adapter but for the price he is asking it was just a few dollars more to have Tony do it. It appears these adapters are not manufactured here in the States so there would be the time factor of ordering them and getting them shipped here and that is provided could track down the foreign manufacturer.  Now if I could purchase them in Bulk for a few bucks each I would persue doing my own mods and possibly selling them myself. 

Same here..... thats why i bought a pair from Tony... i just wanted to get in the water with phones i knew was capable of going as deep as this machine was rated for.   Im one of those guys who once i see it done i can normally do it.   I wait and let others who know what they are doing waste time and money on parts.  Once they figure it out for me the lights go on and i can duplicate it.  Tony was great in giving me the parts and how to list.   It takes about 30 min.   So those on freebay are really over priced IMO..... and you still have to put it together.

• 3 months later...

Can someone point me in the right direction to contact Tony to mod a pair of GG amphibians for me?! Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, BeachSwinger said:

Can someone point me in the right direction to contact Tony to mod a pair of GG amphibians for me?! Thanks in advance!

It's in the upload notes on the you tube video as: tony@idigbeaches.com.  Send him an email.  He modified a set of GG Amphibians I had laying around and collecting dust.  He added the screw-in Equinox connecter and upgraded the GG speakers to put louder WP drivers in the headset.  They work great and he does quality work.