Eq 6" Coil - Coming Soon To A Minelab Dealer Near You!

6AAE0129-5C09-4702-9832-BB9697727E79.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Norm S said:

What's a smart coil. Do they help a dumb guy?

Smart coils have chips that communicate with the control box to properly match the coil size with the operating parameters of the detectors. This started with Minelab in the X-Terra series but is also done by other companies. The Nokta/Makro coils are sensed by the detector, for instance.

The conspiracy theory is this is for no reason other to control coil sales. That may be a side benefit for the manufacturers but the main intent is for the detector to know what coil is attached so that the machine can tune itself for the coil. For instance, depth gauge readings are calibrated to stock coils on detectors. If you run "dumb coil" then going to a larger or smaller coil causes the depth gauge to be inaccurate. On my White's V3i I can manually enter the coil type to compensate. Smart coils go to the next step and do it automatically.

Here is how Minelab explains it for the X-Terra. They are single frequency only but you can bet Minelab has taken what they have learned since and applied it to Equinox.

vflex.jpg

X-TERRA first digital detector.jpg

World’s First All-Digital Metal Detectors

VFLEX transforms conventional single frequency metal detection technology by including two microcontrollers (miniature computers), one inside the control box and one inside the coil. Every time the detector starts up, the microcontrollers establish communication via a digital data link. The coil microcontroller communicates the coil’s configuration, size and exact frequency, so the control box can generate a perfectly matched transmit signal. This significantly reduces distortion and increases Target ID accuracy.

sinewave X-Terra.jpg

Perfect Sine Wave Transmission

VFLEX technology generates and transmits a perfect high quality sine wave, using the same technology that is found in high quality digital audio players, and is produced without distortion. The removal of distortion maximises power transmitted from the coil, therefore increasing detection depth and sensitivity. This also results in enhanced Target ID accuracy and greater immunity to both ground and environmental noise.

X-TERRA signal boost.jpg

In-Coil Signal Booster

Weak target signals are amplified inside the coil, before the receive signal is sent up the coil cable where interference and signal loss can occur. This technique improves immunity to electrical noise by reducing false signals and increasing target signal strength, therefore improving detection depth and sensitivity.

Source: https://www.minelab.com/knowledge-base/key-technologies#259047

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, relicmeister said:

About my expectation at $179. And I bet the 15" will cost $279. Any guess how much the wm08 costs?

There's a WM08 for sale on eBay,  the guy said they retail for 259.00. I'm not sure where he got that price. 

16 minutes ago, relicmeister said:

About my expectation at $179. And I bet the 15" will cost $279. Any guess how much the wm08 costs?

Regarding the 15" coil, I take that bet.  Lol.  You must have missed this post by Cabin Fever above, though the price list hasn't been verified against another dealer's list nor is there an "official" ML announcement that I am aware of.

I already had my dealer put me on as #1 on the waiting list for any and ALL Equinox accessories and coils. For once, I won't have to wait forever! (I am still #4 on the 800 list and waiting, but I have my 600 working hard and learning fast!)

Thanks Steve I never really thought about a coil being dumb or smart. I thought all coils were created pretty much equal except for size. I am not sure a different coil can make the Equinox much better but knowing myself I can see one being delivered to my home when they hit the market. 

Everyday I come home after a cpl hours of hunting and I am still amazed how good the Equinox is. 

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Regarding the 15" coil, I take that bet.  Lol.  You must have missed this post by Cabin Fever above, though the price list hasn't been verified against another dealer's list nor is there an "official" ML announcement that I am aware of.

so is the 11"  $229  a typo ? 

should it be 15" $229 ??

I am confused too :blink:

the 11" coil came with the tector and I dont need another 

33 minutes ago, NSC said:

should it be 15" $229 ??

It is not a typo..

The 11”coil was on the list of accessories for $229.00...  The 15” Coil was not on the list.

This is good news, as far as price goes.

I spoke with someone at Minelab in Napierville, IL about a week ago, who told me the 6" coil could be out "by the end of this month," but I didn't want to post that publicly, in case it was not to be shared (I forgot to ask).  So, this time frame makes sense to me, based on what I was told.  Excellent!

Steve

2 hours ago, NSC said:

should it be 15" $229 ??

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

It is not a typo..

The 11”coil was on the list of accessories for $229.00...  The 15” Coil was not on the list.

I apparently need a smart coil too because I lack reading comprehension skills.  Doh!  :laugh:

$279 for the 15" IS a good bet.