Best Day With The Equinox So Far...

steveg

Good write-up Steve!  That 1904 might get you some additional permissions.

What search mode were you using?

HH,
Brian

Skate -- THANKS!  And, that's a really good idea (gift card for dinner) on a big permission.  I don't (up until now) hunt that much private property...but I'm working to change that.  And I will thus keep your idea in mind, as it's a real good one...

(Oh, and if there IS a quarter to be coming soon, can it please be that ever-elusive BARBER quarter, please?!  LOL!  That's my "nemesis" coin!!)

Cal_Cobra -- Thanks, and you are right, it might!  It's hard to describe how moved the homeowners were, with such a simple gesture.  They are REALLY tied into the history of their house; they even have photographs and have researched the original family who built the house, and so them standing there, as that coin was dug, and it being the same year as the house was built...it really meant a lot to them to receive it!  

Settings -- Park 1, 21 GB, 20 Sensitivity, 50 tones, no disc., 5 recovery speed, 2 iron bias.

Steve

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steveg said:

Skate -- THANKS!  And, that's a really good idea (gift card for dinner) on a big permission.  I don't (up until now) hunt that much private property...but I'm working to change that.  And I will thus keep your idea in mind, as it's a real good one...

Steve

Or..... you could have a bunch of replicas like Kellyco's ridiculous "bonus" gift made up. Probably cost about $3/ea, if that! LOL!
It's an "Authentic" Replica.  Geez!

Kellyco 1715 Spanish 8 Escudos Gold Coin Replica

Replica.thumb.jpg.fb4eec881bfd0a9b9a9dbcc1d8694208.jpg

• Haha 2

Awesome Awesome Awesome STEVE!!  That is just incredible!!  And thanks for the detailed write-up of your hunt.  I can hear the excitement you were/are feeling in your words.  1864?!?!?!  wow.  I also love the history you shared with the homeowner.  Happy for your Steve!  Tim.

Great finds Steve, knew you would find the "good stuff" with your NOX!:biggrin:

Bill

Excellent results, Steve.

There are three varieties of the 1864 IH:  nickel-copper and two 95% copper, one with the designer's initial 'L'.  This latter carries a premium in value.  Depending upon the wear, it may no longer be there even if it once was.  But note below that there is another way of discerning if you have the 'L' variety.  http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/2079

Most likely you have the non-L copper version, the most common.  But we've seen from others here recently that the rare exceptions do show up.  Either way, a nice trophy for your collection!

• Like 2

Steve,  thanks for sharing. It was an awesome day. She can be very convincing to dig and I've shook my head several times when a coin pops out of a hole. 

Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate the kind words.

GB_Amateur -- thanks for the info.  I was vaguely aware of what you are saying, based on some initial reading I did after talking to one of my hunting buddies post-hunt.  What happened was, when I pulled that coin from the dirt, I was wondering if perhaps I had a "fatty" (because while couldn't remember which specific years the "fatties" were made, I thought I remembered it was roughly around the Civil War era).  And I seemed to recall that the "fatties" read much lower, ID-wise, than a regular Indian, due to different metal compositions.  And since the signal I got from the machine pre-dig was a little "funky," but was generally in the upper teens, my thought when I pulled BOTH of those coins from the hole (and the older one OBVIOUSLY being the 95% copper variety), was whether maybe the older one was a "fatty," and that THAT may have been why the ID was a bit "funky."  But, when I ran it over the coil to check, it read "19."  So at that point I concluded that it was a "regular" Indian, and not a "fatty."  

Later in the day though, when I talked to a hunting buddy about the hunt, he congratulated me on the "fatty."  So, it got me wondering, again -- and so I decided to look it up, and that's when I found the info that 1864 was in fact the "transition" year, and that they changed from copper/nickel to 95% copper, during the year, as you said in your post.  And then based on that knowledge, and the fact that the coin read "19" when air tested, I then was certain I had the "non-fatty" variety, but could now understand why my buddy thought it WAS one.  After that, I didn't give it any more thought...until your post!  That "L" thing is interesting, and now I'm curious about the coin again.  Time for some more research, and a closer look at that coin...

Thanks!

Steve

• Like 2