Tomorrow Is The Day!!

Finally, tomorrow I will have a Nox!!

Betty from AKAU  was great to deal with!! Very nice person!!

Gonna hit some places that I have cleaned out ALL  non-ferrous targets. I hope I get to see just how good this machine really is!!

I have a 2nd 800 on order just waiting for the call.

Gonna be a good year!!

• Like 3

You will love it right out of the box.. It's deep and accurate. Don't rely on the depth meter other than to use as to whether a target is deep or shallow. 

• Like 2

Awesome!  Have fun and play with sensitivity, iron bias, and recovery.  GLHH

Edit: yeah Norm S is spot on.  Depth meter is whack LOL

Congrats, Jeff!  

ENJOY!

The depth meter is inaccurate on shallow targets, but when it shows 4-5 bars, it usually is more accurate -- i.e. it is indeed a deep target if the machine is showing consistent 4-5 bars when centered over the target.  For me, 3 bars is about 3", 2 bars is 1-2", and 1 bar is about 1".

There are other clues, though, in terms of depth...some modulation of the audio on deeper targets (i.e. you eventually learn how to tell approximate depth via the audio), and the pinpoint mode is especially telling on shallow vs. deep targets...

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments. Everything I have been reading and watching points to the depth meter being inaccurate. It will be interesting to see if this machine is as good as everyone says.

Gonna be fun testing and running it thru it's paces as much as I can.

I'm not sure you can say the depth meter is "inaccurate".  From what I understand, the depth is based on a particular-sized coin lying flat underground, so all other sized objects, and how they lie may vary from that formula standard.

Can't remember where I read this, but it was quite illuminating.

Yeah really wish depth meter was better I swear I get 4 bars on 1inch targets pretty often.the machine is a winner though I enjoy swinging it anyway

Guest Tnsharpshooter
37 minutes ago, SittingElf said:

I'm not sure you can say the depth meter is "inaccurate".  From what I understand, the depth is based on a particular-sized coin lying flat underground, so all other sized objects, and how they lie may vary from that formula standard.

Can't remember where I read this, but it was quite illuminating.

Seems is calibrated to big coin.

A metal detector depth meter is nothing more than a signal strength indicator calibrated to a particular coin. That being the case there is nothing a meter can tell you that your ears can’t tell you as well or better. All depth meters are inaccurate on any item other than the coin they are calibrated for. Further, most (not all) detectors are only a accurate when using the stock coil.

For all these reasons I have never paid much attention to depth meters. Between the initial target sound and the sounds when engaging the pinpoint function I learn all I need to know about target depth.

The main “problem” with Equinox is targets are delivering full signal strength for quite a few inches. With most detectors signal strength drops off immediately. That makes it easy for those detectors to gauge depth. So do we want to “make” the Equinox more prone to losing signal strength faster just to get a better idea of depth?

The more people use Equinox, the more I think most people will find that the depth meter will fade as being a major issue.

Best wishes for early results with the new machine!

• Like 3