Cheap Carbon Fiber Shaft

NSC

Hi,

I thought the standard shaft would suit me OK until I started water hunting.

There is nothing to choose from here in Australia that does not cost over $200 delivered

I decided to give making one a try

1metre  x 22mm OD / 20mm ID Carbon Fiber shaft $42.00 aud ,  1x Pluggers Equinox shaft lower lock about $30.00 delivered ,  1x 19mm poly pipe end plug $1.00

Drilled some 6mmm & 9mm holes

I cut 120mm off the carbon fiber shaft and made a lead filled counterweight attachment for later on when the big coil coil comes out . 

I will not do Andersons or Plugger out of business but it will do me :biggrin: and will keep the standard 3 piece for travelling

P1140751res.jpg

P1140683.JPG

P1140754res.jpg

• Like 9

That's pretty sweet! I'm a DIY sort of guy and might try doing something like this too. Is the second picture your counterweight? Does it slides into the end of the shaft and just a friction fit?

That is sweet :biggrin: great job NSC, I was only thinking about making my own last night . That's a good saving alright and it will do the same job mate.

Just wondering did you get the plugger lock on eBay and where did you pick up the shaft from.

Hi guys,

Dukester, Yes, the joining tube is 20mm pvc electrical conduit with lead hammered inside. It.

fits really tightly so, yes friction held. 

Unox, yes ebay and carbonfiber.com.au - both were really quick and professional.

• Like 1

This is great! I'm thinking of doing the same thing and I have some questions. First about the lower shaft lock. Does that lock it into one single position or can you slide it in and out of the carbon fiber pole to adjust the height? Also, after you drilled the holes did you treat them in any way to seal them up? I read about having to put super glue around the hole so that they don't fray. Thanks!!

Looks good, but I too wonder why people are changing out the rods?

BTW That Makro Racer stand on an Equinox...it may burst into flames at any moment...:wink:

After coming from years of swinging a 4.9lbs Garrett GTI 2500, the Nox is light as a feather. I don't have a wobble issue with my 600 and hope that my 800 won't either once I have it. My shaft locks work just fine, and I don't find the detector nose-heavy because I use a short shaft swing.

I may change my mind after I have a few hundred hours under my belt, but for now, the stock shaft is not even the slightest issue for me.

12 hours ago, NSC said:

Unox, yes ebay and carbonfiber.com.au - both were really quick and professional.

Thanks for the info NSC:smile:

• Like 1