Surprised By The Amount Of Sand In The Coil Cover!

Am I misreading this, or are people talking about permanently attaching (with glue/epoxy/silicone) covers (stock and homemade) to their coils?

GB; in the good old days you could easily seal most coil covers with caulking....you can seal open web coils the same way but it is an endless task.  Painter caulk peels off...I would never use a permanent glue type sealer....

I think the answer may be using something like the guys put on their GPZ 19" coil...if I had a memory I would say the name...

fred

• Like 1

I am a commercial caulker by trade and have silicone that I may use to seal it up although it wouldn't be permanent but it wouldn't come off on it's own either and would add no noticeable wieght

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of sealing the coil cover with silicone, you may want to try a product called Seal 'N Peel by DAP.  It's like silicone, and comes in a white with green caulking gun tube.  Thing is, it's totally removable.  Once dry, you can easily peel the stuff off in long strings.  I use it to seal the expandable curtains on the sides of window mount air conditioners.  I seal the tops and bottoms of the corrugated flexible plastic using a caulking gun to keeps bugs out.  It dries in a few hours if you point a fan at it.  Then at the end of the summer, I peel it off and can take the A/C unit out of the window.  It does not stain or pull paint off the walls.  I have not tried to seal a MD coil cover, but I think it would be perfect.  I've purchased it from Lowe's for around $7 a tube, but I've also seen it sell for as much as $12, so shop around.

• Like 3