Equinox Coil Drag - Opinions / Consensus?

51 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I have seen positive and negative comments online regarding submerged coil drag with the Equinox stock coil.  Haven't taken a dip yet, so was wondering what the experienced water hunters think about it.  Thanks.

Been using mine in the sea with no problems, feels much like the Excalibur to me in terms of drag.

HH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been using mine in the water too, it has a lot less drag than some of the machines I've used.

• Like 1

I'll let you know this week. Going to shallow water hunt Eglin AFB's restricted access beach on the North side of Destin. I'll start in the water and work up to the tide line. Not many MD'ers able to hunt that beach, and lots of weekenders use it from the base.

Ive not got a good many hours using it in the water..... and really changed my opinion.  My initial concerns were those fins having used the CTX.... that drags like a dead.   But, the Nox has the right amount of weight to keep it on the bottom and little drag when sweeping.   One of the best moving coils i think ive used.   I got in a few hours during RED FLAG times .....handles swift water very well for the size of the coil.   But yes........ catches more sand than youd think.   Coils seem to have the same issue as the Xcal IIs did initially....... the epoxy is under filled....... and those cross overs have a lot of gap to fill.    The Explorers really disliked dirt between the coil and cover.   This is a very sensitive machine........ anyone notice chatter from sand or dirt?   I guess ill have to check that next time out.

• Like 1

About the same drag as my ATPro in the water.  No noticeable difference.  I do agree with the sand comments.  The little voids in the webs underneath do collect sand and the coil cover doesn't really do anything to prevent sand intrusion.  Still thinking about the best way to fill the web voids without adding weight and adding foam would likely make the coil more bouyant which I wouldn't want.  A small problem still in need of a plan.  I remove the coil cover and wash after every water or dry sand hunt.  I do worry that the coil cover may break some day as sometimes it is a little hard to remove.  A spare coil cover will be ordered when available.  I've hit enough hard things underwater in the Gulf (near jettys) or at home that I would not go without the cover.

Someone mentioned a while back that the hollow lower shaft fills with water which makes the coil end heavier.  I do get some water, but not that much that it is a hinderance.  Raising the coil up above horizontal to the water surface periodically lets the water drain out the adjustment holes.  Not a big issue for me and I wouldn't drill a drain hole in the bottom of the lower shaft since that would let both sand and water in.  No advantage to that.

• Like 2

Awwww ..... but that sand doesnt all go out..... if you arent breaking it down each time sand can accually pack in the lower shaft.   I highly recommend everyone drill about a 1/2 hole.   Sorry .... but yes water and sand goes it..... then out.

have you noticed any sensitivity if you DONT clean each time?  That cover is a little more that hard to get off lol.   The cover does seem to be made well.   I was the crazy guy who had mentions i was thinking about CUTTING off those front and middle cross overs...... sand was a concern....... but sand there shouldnt be picked up by the coil moving with it.   Back not to long ago we used to use SS bolts on the lower shaft.

• Like 1

Minelab was trying to keep that coil as light as possible which does leave space for sand. It could have been epoxied up level with no holes or gaps, but then people complaining about nose heavy would complain even more.

I will probably dedicate a coil to water hunting and take the time to run a good silicone seal completely around all the edges of the scuff cover. I don’t worry about sand abrasion but I work in and bang on rocks a lot, and want that little extra protection.

I have spent enough time swinging a Garrett ATX and Minelab CTX w/17” coil underwater that Equinox is a dream by comparison as regards water and swing resistance. I am more curious about how the 15” coil will handle in the water than the stock coil - no worries there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1