1st Time At Beach With E-800

Norm S

I took my E-800 to the beach this morning not expecting to find much because the beaches in Biloxi don't have much to give up. Anyway I come away with more questions than I learned. I used Beach 1 and left 1 & 2 open then 13 open and from 19  up open.. recovery 6 and sensitivity 23.  I learned what tiny pieces of foil were and I hit a ton of tabs at 13 with solid signals but I did find one nickel. 

It seemed the tones were softer even with a dime at 6". My headphones went dead but I hadn't charged them for a week..lol I seemed to have a lot of ghost signals. I would get a blip and no matter what I did I couldn't get it again. I had a cpl 25 signals but quite weak and I took my scoop and quit scooping at 12" and still didn't find anything. I guess the highlight of the morning was finding a set of keys for a guy that lost them.. He stopped me and asked if I found any keys and I said no but if I find any I will look you up, About 25' away I got a mixed 22 - 25 signal and sticking out of the sand I seen something and reached down to find his keys.. So over all I found 40 cents and a set of keys

• Like 8

Why are you notching so much out is the question?

essentially you’ve eliminated most chances of gold by notching out those sections.

I have gold rings coming in on the NOX between 7-24. Most are around 10-18, the beach is a place with so sparse targets I usually dig everything non-ferrous.

• Like 5

Thanks I haven't found any gold with the Equinox the gold I have found with other detectors was either high or in the nickel range..

Thanks for the advice Edsped

The gold will come.......:happy:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

...If you are hitting a lot of foil carefully consider notching that....

I don't hunt the beach, but in my experience with other detectors (still too light with the Eqx), foil doesn't have a tight TID range but can be everywhere from iron to Zincoln.  Reason:  size can be all over the map.  Is this not the case with the Eqx?

• Like 1

With sens at 23 I‘d run mad after 5mins :biggrin:

If you‘re not after micro-juwelry, try lowering the sens and / or swing considerably slower. I‘ve settled on 18 on my trashy beaches, sometimes even 16 and still hit silver and pretty deep coins.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't hunt the beach, but in my experience with other detectors (still too light with the Eqx), foil doesn't have a tight TID range but can be everywhere from iron to Zincoln.  Reason:  size can be all over the map.  Is this not the case with the Eqx?

Agree, I should have been more specific and explained that I was thinking condiment packs which all ring up in a very tight range and are prolific (at least at my most frequently hit beach).  It is the only target I have ever considered notching at the beach but in the end, I just dealt with them with my brain.  I don't personally like to notch anything but will disc ferrous.

• Like 2

I find it often helpful to hear the ferrous content of a signal, so I often run in all metal mode.

What's cool about the NOX is, that you're able to set the tone volume and pitch, so you hear every information you need, but it doesn't kill your ears. The factory settings work pretty well.

• Like 2