Makro Gold Racer Gets A Run, Finally

10 hours ago, Lanny said:

How I wish some fine company would produce a light-weight gold-hungry pulse machine with excellent capabilities...

The SDC! Just kidding, I know some people find it cumbersome but I've gotten used to the weight and am very fond of the machine.

A great story as always Lanny! I'd never thought of checking disgarded bedrock in the area you described, definitely something I'll have to keep in mind.

• Like 3

Indeed the SDC does love small gold. Touché as the French say. :smile:

In my wish list, I was referring more to the big brothers (SD/GPX) that allow a choice of coils, something that might have made the SDC just that much sweeter.

All the best, and thanks for your kind comments about the story,

Lanny

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Awesome Lanny. Great post & great reward. Where are the photos? :biggrin:. Well done mate. You would have been chuffed. Thanks.

Best of luck out there

JW:smile:

I know, no photos this time as I left my phone (only camera I had on the trip) in the truck as I wanted no possible interference from the device while I was conducting my test.

Thanks for dropping in to say hello, great to hear from you as always, and all the best,

Lanny

Macro gold racer is a beast. I have one and love it. I was able to keep up with a gold bug and a sdc2300. Found stuff they missed and they would ask me to check there holes lol. Great unit and a good price. I too am waiting for a macro PI unit.

• Like 1

I can’t say I have used my Gold Racer much the last year but I won’t let it go. It was a unique machine at the time and the 56khz design with discrimination options appeals to me. One thing I am curious about in this day and age of the Deus high frequency coils is how the Gold Racer compares to a Deus HF coil for sniffing non-ferrous relics, especially when running the concentric coil on the Gold Racer.

Great post Lanny, thanks!

makro-gold-racer-with-nevada-gold-nugget-herschbach.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stephen newell said:

Macro gold racer is a beast. I have one and love it. I was able to keep up with a gold bug and a sdc2300. Found stuff they missed and they would ask me to check there holes lol. Great unit and a good price. I too am waiting for a macro PI unit.

I certainly was impressed!

I wonder if Makro has a PI in the works?

Thanks for dropping in, and all the best,

Lanny

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I can’t say I have used my Gold Racer much the last year but I won’t let it go. It was a unique machine at the time and the 56khz design with discrimination options appeals to me. One thing I am curious about in this day and age of the Deus high frequency coils is how the Gold Racer compares to a Deus HF coil for sniffing non-ferrous relics, especially when running the concentric coil on the Gold Racer.

Great post Lanny, thanks!

Thanks Steve for all of your write-ups on detectors. You've done the detecting world a great service by providing such concise reviews of such a wide range of detectors over the years. You sir are a study in excellence!

I plan on giving the Gold Racer a hard run this season to see what it's capable of.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love your stories Lanny.....but I can't recall where you live?

We actually struck gold in a new area this past weekend, in a 2 foot wide ditch  in a farmers field near Galena, Illinois.

It wasn't but a few colors and some pretty red rocks in gravels  but it proves gold is in this old lead mining area.

How do we tell if its glacial gold or native to the area?

-Tom V.

19 hours ago, tvanwho said:

Love your stories Lanny.....but I can't recall where you live?

We actually struck gold in a new area this past weekend, in a 2 foot wide ditch  in a farmers field near Galena, Illinois.

It wasn't but a few colors and some pretty red rocks in gravels  but it proves gold is in this old lead mining area.

How do we tell if its glacial gold or native to the area?

-Tom V.

Thanks for dropping in Tom.

I'm located in Western Canada, and I chase most of my gold in Montana, and British Columbia, though I have chased a few nuggets in Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah and Alaska, so I still have a lot of places yet to try.

Where I live, glacial gold is tiny, hammered flat, and it floats very easily in the pan if it gets any chance to do so. This is due to the hammer-mill or roller-ball effect of the slow but continuous grinding motion of the gigantic glaciers of long ago. Imagine a sheet of ice miles thick pressing down on everything underneath it with titanic pressures and you'll understand why any chunks of gold were ground to a powder.

When I find nuggets, some of them are hammered flat as well, but they often still have character (lumps and bumps, crystalline structures,  sometimes attached quartz, etc. that won't survive an extended period of hammering action by rocks). So, if you find any pieces of any size with character, you'll have a much better chance of being close to a deposit of some sort. One of the best ways to get an idea is to check the government geological reports for your area as many are quite comprehensive in their reports on any precious metals found around your location.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 2