Waiting for the Gobble

Had a shiny new Makro Racer waiting for me when I got home, and a sweet little detector it is. Bad timing because I am ridiculously busy right now but I hope to have something to post by tomorrow evening. It already is the most over analyzed detector on the market though and all of it is just adding up to what was said all along. FORS CoRe in a lighter, more elegant package.

In the meantime for others who do not follow such stuff here is Tom Dankowskis report so far http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,72545

http://youtu.be/nvw4o8J3wFo

Steve,

I realize this is not the gold racer, but would still like to know how it does on gold.

Tom did not mention anything about gold. (gold is metal)

Dimes and nickels just don't thrill me.

Ivan

Well and there is the rub. Everyone else has all sorts of things on their minds not really on my own. I see this as a Gold Racer preview in the physical aspects. What the Racer does on gold interests me but tells me nothing about how the Gold Racer will do on gold except that the Gold Racer should do better. So my personal interest is mostly in weight, balance, feel. For what it is worth I will do some playing around with small nuggets in the morning. I will do what I can but for me the Gold Bug Pro/G2+/F19/F75/FORS Gold/FORS CoRe/Racer/Gold Racer project is going to be a summer long thing to sort out. There is a lot of really hair splitting stuff going on with all these machines and without actually having a Gold Racer none is flat out trumping all the others. The good news therefore from a performance perspective is I do not see how anyone can go really wrong with any of them.

The biggest difference is in the gated audio response of the Fisher models versus the blended audio response with the Makro/Nokta models.

Speaking of Gold Racer. Is there any word on when it might come out?

Can't wait to hear more about it. I'm curious to see if it's much different than the Racer.

I am just guessing but I think it will be some time yet. Months? Not sitting around holding my breath that is for sure.

I am very curious myself as the FORS Gold and FORS CoRe are basically the same 15 kHz performance and the Racer at 14 kHz by all accounts so far nearly identical. The big question for me is how high will they go with the Gold Racer.

Don't forget that performance on a U.S. nickel is a fairly good substitute for performance on a 1/4 oz gold nugget.

Well as of this moment I would say that trying to get a clear winner on small gold between a 13 kHz Fisher F75, 14 kHz Makro Racer, and 15 kHz Nokta FORS Gold or FORS CoRe is an exercise in futility. The threshold based all metal performance is nearly identical. I feel more comfortable that the Makro and Nokta in discrimination modes are going to be less prone to misidentifying a gold nugget as a ferrous target than the Fisher but I would not be surprised if the is a price to pay in perhaps having to dig more ferrous items. The Racer is a sweetie though, the fact it runs neck and neck with $1000 detectors is impressive. But I am getting ahead of myself. I will do up an initial impressions post with photos tomorrow afternoon or evening.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.

I am looking forward to your post tomorrow.

Curious to see how the Racer holds up in discrimination mode as far

as loss of depth compared to AM mode.

I must be missing something because if the following statement by Tom D -

(Here is where things get interesting (important): the depth of all-metal mode ... vs ... ID mode is identical (once again..... in my inert Florida dirt). In fact .... the better/more intelligible selection.... is the 2-tone mode. This is the deepest mode. )

is correct and applies to mineralized dirt also, would not this machine be unique in the matter of equal depth in AM and Discriminate mode(D12).  So if F75, Racer, and Fors Core are equal in depth In AM then it would follow that Racer would be the clear winner on gold in the discriminate mode. I was under the impression(often I am wrong :blink:  :wacko:  :()  any ID mode (pre-Racer) cost depth even if set at 0 because the signal is still processed through filters. 

I was hunting a cabin site that is next to a patch the other day( thanks goes to Lucky Lundy for the pointy finger!) with my Deus. Where the Minelabs had left off due to trash I started hunting in AM. As I worked closer to the cabin I was no longer able to discriminate by watching the VID in single tone AM as the area turned into a bed of nails. I was forced to switch to 2 tone and hunt by audio. Is this a scenario the lowly $650 machine is going to kick butt in versus machines costing more?

Merton