First Time Out With The 800

Rick73

I have had the 800 for about 2 months but the weather has been unfavorable. 10 inches of snow last week again but was gone by the weekend. I have played around with it in my test garden but last night was my first official time out with it.  My go to place is an old picnic grove that was a 7 acre tree claim when it was homesteaded and was cut down in the late 20's and has been farmed ever since. This grove was used for Labor Day Celebrations from 1897 to 1925. It is deep ripped in the fall rearranging any coins that are there. I have hunted this for about 5 years but last spring was the first time on the other side of the creek. Some of the old timers said they were told that they heard that is where most of the activity was. Any way I hunted for 45 minutes because of darkness setting in. I set the 800 up so 12 &13 were loud and the same tone and loudness as 18 and up. Park 1 reactivity 5. The first 3 coins were nickels that hit mainly 13 and sometimes 12. These were dead giveaways. The 4th coin a 1910 wheat at 22-23 the 5th coin another nickel and the last coin a 1897 dime at 26-27. The 3 V nickels go with the other 17 I found last year. I read today where there was a carousel assembled there for the annual Labor Day Celebration and rides were 5 cents. This also marks the 41st barber coin here. There is an electric fence right next to this. My CTX will null with each charge and my Deus will give a high tone. The 800 nulls like the CTX. I don't mind this but the high tone with the Deus makes it difficult. Can't wait to spend more time there. I need to add that these nickels do not come out of the ground like this. They are dark, crusty and red. I start with Andre's pencils (Google It) to scrape away crud to get to the date to make sure it isn't a key date.  Then soak them overnight in water and clean them more with the pencils. I have a liquid cleaner called Santeen toilet descaler that you can get at a hardware store.  Use a Q-tip and apply it to the surface and the rust will come off. Be ready to rinse and dry the coin. I then use a coin preserving liquid I bought at a coin shop and apply it to the surface. Try not to get the descaler on your skin and do this on a glass surface. Do not try this on silver or copper coins as it will destroy them. I found out the hard way. Sounds like a lot of work but I did the 4 nickels in about 10 minutes. 

IMG_4353.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

• Like 9

Great recoveries. That was a great first time out for sure. 

WOW!  GREAT digs, and what an INCREDIBLE site it sounds like you have found!!!

Steve

All that in 45 minutes!  Well done and get back there ASAP.  Sounds like your research has paid dividends.  Interesting that the soil chemistry apparently hurt the penny far worse than the nickels.  In my soils either both get damaged or the nickels much worse than the bronze coins.

Gorgeous nickels!!! What a sweet spot you have there.