Nice finds on the Gold JW and that's some beautiful country for sure.  So the Nox really can see the small stuff, not that I didn't believe Steve's report. :laugh:

• Thanks 1

Good stuff, JW nearly did the same myself but ended up having an all day remembrance breckie, I think someone spiked the coffee.:wink:

• Haha 1

Lest we forget :sad:

That was a good afternoon John, well done.  I went for a bit of a swing in the later part of the day also, I was in the area already for some shopping and had a bit of spare time as my wife and daughter wanted to go to the playground and walk around botanical gardens so I took on the creek I found all my gold with you that day with the Monster and 5" and was skunked again.  That's twice in a row I've found nothing there now.  Maybe we cleaned it out.

The Equinox can indeed find tiny gold, I found this bit on a mission with Kiwijw last weekend.  You may have to play Where's Wally to find it, I put it in a silly place for the photo.

20180422_111057.thumb.jpg.a5a186da8bd01c5401477af77c233d6e.jpg

If you ever want a nugget shootoff and we both use one of my GBP's for the challenge and see if either of us can find anything using them I'd been happy for that to happen, I'm currently deciding if I should keep them or get rid of them so having you test one for me would be good as you are a more proficient prospector.

Simon

• Like 4

WTG sniffing out those tiny bits JW

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2018 at 8:04 AM, phrunt said:

If you ever want a nugget shootoff and we both use one of my GBP's for the challenge and see if either of us can find anything using them I'd been happy for that to happen, I'm currently deciding if I should keep them or get rid of them so having you test one for me would be good

Hi Simon, I really don't think the GBP's would hit on those real small bits like the GM or the EQ 800 in those shallow bedrock locations. I base that purely on the Khz frequency.  Next time you get a signal with the EQ 800 switch it to 20 Khz to make it closer to the GBP frequency, even it is turns out to be a shotgun pellet, but before you dig or disturb the ground, try the GBP. Don't do it at home by burying a small piece of gold. It isn't the same as out in the field....as you know. The down fall of the EQ 800 could just come down to the size of its coil for getting right down on the ground or into narrow tight areas that the GBP small coils could.

I think you are getting a handle on areas to sweep your coil. Especially if you know there is gold in the area. Even on that flat smooth sheet like schist bedrock that appears to be as smooth as a babies bottom, there are always going to be little cracks & crevices that you cant visibly see & where gold can be lodged & covered over. You need to detect over the entire sheet of bedrock schist. Even a babies bottom has a crack in it :laugh::laugh::laugh: But they are nuggets of a different kind. :laugh:. That was my success of last Sunday finding those 6 small bits. Finding three in the end from one dig was a bonus. 

20180422_105701

And that was with the Zed & its 14" coil. I covered all the surfaces of that sheet bedrock area. Even though it looked smooth as & there were no visible signs to the eye of any cracks or crevices. The only cracks that gave themselves up, outside of the obvious ones, were the ones with a bit of grass growth or moss & lichen in them. Showing there was a bit of depth there for the grass to grow & for a piece of gold to hide.

Plenty of moss & lichen hiding that crack that coughed up a piece of gold. If it wasn't for the signal I wouldn't have known that crack was there. In those situations I will rake out along that entire crack to uncover it all & detect along that length.  But by raking it out I could get the coil right down to the ground along that length to give me the best shot of finding something if it was there. In this case there was no more gold.

20180422_113613

20180422_113619

This crevice & gold find from wednesdays ANZAC day hunt is a prime example. The crevice just wasn't visible at all on that smooth bedrock surface. The only thing that gave it away was the positive little signal that I got when I scanned that entire face. I did get three pieces from that face that were all in cracks that were not visible. 

20180425_163125

20180425_163040

20180425_163008

Would the GBP get that? I would be very surprised if it did. Only one way to find out :biggrin:

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 3

There is a bit more to the story of those three pieces that came out of that one dig. I was slowly detecting along this sheet bedrock heading towards a bit of a shallow grassy area. I detected over the grassy area, got nothing & noticed a pile of old rabbit carcass bones tangled up in a clump of grass right beside a fracture line in the Schist where one side of the bedrock had lifted a couple of inches. Like a small displacement fault. I scanned over the bones more by accident  to get the coil over & around that schist displacement fracture on the chance that it may have a bit of gold caught up in it. BANG....got a strong hit over the rabbit bones. What would you normally do in just such an instance?? Keep on walking thinking it was just the .22 bullet in the rabbit carcass?? Guess I normally would but I was more focused on that fracture in the schist. So just out of habit I raked my pick through the grass to drag the said grass & bones out of the way to get the coil closer to that schist fracture .

Sure enough the signal moved off with them. No I didn't confirm what that signal was.

20180422_105738

I then scanned close to the schist & got a very faint signal.

20180422_105816

You will notice the bones dragged towards the bottom right to get them out of the way.

Down on to the lower schist was the first piece of gold.

20180422_105714

Two more followed. :biggrin: These photos were courtesy of Simons phone as I left mine at home :rolleyes: 

Cheers

• Like 2

Burst out laughing at the babies bottom has a crack thing and my wife thought I was strange laughing at my computer.

The reason why I'm so torn on my Gold Bug Pro's is in my testing at home it comes up close to the Monster and Nox and sometimes feels like it wins but these aren't real world tests.  The 10" elliptical coil has a super hot nose on it and finds even my smallest bits of gold within a inch or two of the coil with an almighty roar.

I'm just going to have to use it to find out I guess.

I'm still in negotiations for a 4500. I may have one in a week, we'll see what happens there, fingers crossed! :unsure:

• Like 1

Mrs JW is use to me laughing at the computer. She never questions it now or looks at me sideways. :biggrin: Yes ...the only way you are going to know about your GBP's is to trial them against the others out in the field. That is the beauty of elliptical coils....having  that hot nose & heel. More so on mono coils on the Minelab PI's. I thought the babies bottom thing would get a few laughs.

It wouldn't have been much of a day up Coronet Peak Yesterday. Bugger that. 

Good luck out there