Latest News On The QED ?

On 4/23/2018 at 7:40 PM, Lanny said:

(How I wish some fine company would produce a light-weight gold-hungry pulse machine with excellent capabilities or that Minelab would find a way to lighten the technology package of their GPZ 7000. Wouldn't that be great?)

Lanny, there is a super light weight PI built here in Australia, at a good price. I use one and love it. Unfortunately it is not yet available in the USA. It is called the QED. It is being constantly improved by the dedicated inventor. Hope one day you will be able to get one.

• Like 1

Sounds very interesting Reg. I wonder, does it have a good discriminator with a digital readout for ID'ing target responses? With a combination like that, and a nice selection of coils, it would be a dream machine indeed! But, perhaps it will take a while to incorporate wish list items like that.

All the best, and thanks for your response,

Lanny

Thanks Steve. Although the QED is not yet available in the USA it is now available in South East Asia. Interest is being shown from Europe to Africa. Howard, the inventor and developer of this hand built detector is continually coming up with advancements, and I have to say that being involved with the testing of these developments is reminiscent of the early Minelab times when I tested for them. I find it exciting.

Just like the early Minelab days, this is a business in its infancy, and I can see that if barriers and hurdles can be overcome, this detector could have a big impact in the USA. An opportunity for a smart American entrepreneur  like you Steve?

• Like 3

A

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I queried them about sending one to NZ and they are fine with that, but you're saying its in early development, does that mean if I got one it would be outdated quickly and I'd have to buy a new one or are the updates software updates I could install onto mine? 

At the moment units have to be sent back to victoria for updates, i think they should adress this with adding a usb for firmware updates so the software can be updateable at home and only go back for harware updates. There is some good info here as well from some other aussie users, lots to read but will give you an idea of the + & - of the QED. 

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21000

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23399

Im looking forward to seeing how this matures and believe that competition in the gb PI market will only be a good thing for us all. 

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Back to my hunt for a GPX 4500 then.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25517

Used one here. Mentions about posting in Australia. Doesn't say he won't post internationally.  Would still have a years worth of warranty I think. 

I have never even seen a GPX but I've seen Reg's QED. Very light and from what I read it is fairly competitive against the GPXs.  If you are sending it back to Oz for updates it is only the control unit so not expensive to post. 

The low price point for a brand new QED almost had me convinced to sell the Z and have 6k left over. But knowing that money would then just be spent on carpet for our house I quickly slapped myself :biggrin:

Each to their own but if I was just entering the PI market I'd seriously look at the QED. 

• Like 2

I don't know that the above video is a good representation of the QED?

To me it's still sounding off on the "hot patch" even after adjustment (just before he says thats ground noise then there's a cut in the video), although it is diminished in broadness it's still there. It then continues to make spurious noises as he moves forward after going back to the original balance of 89. My opinion is it doesn't sound very well ground balanced for that area. Mine is a PL2 & has been recently fully upgraded & includes the new beach mode. There are only a few areas, even after the updates, where I've been able to get a ground balance figure below 100 (lowest 92 from memory) & these were fairly mild spots so I think 89 for what he says is hot ground might be too low? When ground balanced well the "trick" of moving the balance +/- 4 depending on whether it's a rising or falling signal does work well but in some very variable ground can become a chore or leave you wondering if the signal only diminishes & doesn't dissappear - upside is when I've dug these any diminishing or dissappearing signals have been ground not targets so it is worth the effort. I've witnessed first hand a GPX pick up a "signal" that I couldn't get with the QED - turned out to be ground noise so getting the essentially manually balanced QED spot on to the ground conditions is very doable.

Kiwijw - my QED is numbered just over 500 & getting close to 12 months old. I did see somewhere a user had said theirs was numbered in the 600's so if they are numbered in order of manufacture there is getting to be a few around now. It would be interesting to get one in NZ to see what you guys think of it in your ground. My thoughts are it would be very good & being so lightweight ideal for the mountainous country.

They find gold but like any detector you need to swing over it in order to find it. 

• Like 2

AussieMatt, a very good appraisal. I use a plus or minus 5 and like your experience, have found that this procedure works well. I used to use this system with the SD, as the ground balance could be manually reset up or down from the ideal GB. Any obvious difference in a slight change in GB told you to walk away.

Interesting video although going by the date of its update it is not the latest as AussieMatt says "Mine is a PL2 & has been recently fully upgraded & includes the new beach mode." 

AussieMatt you should grab a video camera and show us how to operate the QED properly.