Some Equinox Finds From Last Weekend

GREAT job!!  NICE digs!!!

Those "odd" and "varied" readings on the war nickels?  It's not the Equinox's fault.  There's something screwy with the composition of war nickels, or at LEAST with the way war nickels will read -- on ANY detector.  USUALLY they read near the nickel range, but some read higher, and some MUCH higher.  One of my hunting partners has dug two of them in the last couple of months that -- on his CTX -- read all the way up into the penny range (12-43 on his CTX).  I have heard of this from many others, as well.  All the ones I've dug read right near the nickel range -- right at nickel, or maybe a notch higher.  However, they can range ANYWHERE between nickel and a penny signal...strangely...

Anyway, enough of that!  Congrats on the super digs!

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you! I remember you or someone saying that about the war nickels. I think it was the S mint mark ones that I read about but I see some are ringing up different with all mint marks. I happened to find some that my grandmother had in a nickel book and they all hit as 13 on the ground. Very weird but we recovered them! and they're in pretty good shape

Great hunt and write up! Thanks!

Jeez, now I wonder how many war nicks I've passed on because they read a 14! EVERY 14 I've ever dug is a pull tab. Even if it was mostly 13 that bounced to 14 a time or two. 

Dean

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steveg said:

Those "odd" and "varied" readings on the war nickels?  It's not the Equinox's fault.  There's something screwy with the composition of war nickels, or at LEAST with the way war nickels will read -- on ANY detector.  USUALLY they read near the nickel range, but some read higher, and some MUCH higher.  One of my hunting partners has dug two of them in the last couple of months that -- on his CTX -- read all the way up into the penny range (12-43 on his CTX).  I have heard of this from many others, as well.  All the ones I've dug read right near the nickel range -- right at nickel, or maybe a notch higher.  However, they can range ANYWHERE between nickel and a penny signal...strangely...

Yep, we've discussed this before.  I wish I could get my hands on one that reads the same ID as a penny.  If someone has one, see if you can get an x-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectrum run to see if the 'missing manganese' theory holds.

I have a roll or two of warnicks in my safety deposit box.  Next time I'm in it I'll bring those home and run air tests on all of them.

I've dug two war nickels so far, and I too noticed that 35% war nickels TID about the same as a regular US nickel.  Kind of strange, every machine I've used in the past, they TID more into the lower end of silver