Patch Gold = A patch is a hot spot with the right ingredients (cover, clientele, and activity) to allow re-occurring jewelry losses over time.  Patch Gold is gold jewelry found in this hot spot.   

This is nice piece of Patch Gold from one of my patches.   18k White gold with a very pretty diamond I found a few weeks back.   

HH
Mike

DSCN4301A.jpg

• Like 9

Without giving away your spot, could you describe what qualities to look for such a spot? Even just a basic description (nude sunbathing beach; tot lot in subdivision) of this particular spot would be helpful to a struggling jewelry hunter like me. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Dukester,

If I say, "tot lots", what makes one tot lot better than another one?  If I say, "basketball court", what makes one basketball court better than another one?  If I say, "soccer field", what makes one soccer field better than another one?  If I say, "park", what makes one park better than another?.  If I say, "school playground", what makes one school playground better than another one?

I had lousy luck hunting jewelry until I read Clive's "DFX Gold Methods" book.   That turned on some lights and helped me a lot.   If you want repeatable success you really have to read it.   He puts you into the right mindset.  The lights turn on, so to speak.  He can help you find that first jewelry item.   Once you find your first one or two items you are on your way.....

Tip number 3 is the key....tip number three: Learn the loss characteristics of the items you find. Seek the answer to the question, “Why did I find what I found where I found it?” Once you think you have the answer, validate it by hunting other areas where that loss characteristic could be repeated and see if you find jewelry there. A validated loss characteristic is more valuable than the jewelry find itself.

HH
Mike

• Like 3

I actually just got one of Clives other books "The Gold Jewelry Hunter's Handbook: Finding Lost Gold at Beach, Park and Shoreline Metal Detecting Sites" yesterday in the mail and started reading it last night, so hopefully that helps.

• Like 1

That is a good book, too, and its fairly recent.  Wait and see...it will help.

HH
Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, oldmancoyote1 said:

Pardon my ignorance.  What is loss characteristics.

It is the action that usually causes an item to be lost...

For example on the beach or at swimming holes at a lake or river the cool water causes the fingers to shrink a bit as well as the mild lubricating qualities of the water causes rings to be lost.

In a tot lot I always check the swing area... pushing the child causes a slight flipping action of the hand that will dislodge a ring.

I also found a nice mens ring in a baseball field.... What do you think caused that ...?

Anyway just some thoughts to help stimulate your imagination....:smile:

Thinking back over the past 10 years I remember finding two nice gold rings within 20' of each other.  Found one maybe 10 years ago and another one last year.  Amazing information.

13 hours ago, johnedoe said:

It is the action that usually causes an item to be lost...

For example on the beach or at swimming holes at a lake or river the cool water causes the fingers to shrink a bit as well as the mild lubricating qualities of the water causes rings to be lost.

Lubrication on a beach often also comes from using suntan lotion/oil, not just cool water. The combo of water and oil can cause rings to literally fall off. (Don't ask me how I know this for sure! LOL!)

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 7:43 PM, kiwijw said:

The heading caught my eye & I thought it was in the wrong category. Patch Gold. That tip number three is also very characteristic of gold locations when prospecting. I aren't into jewellery, coin, relic hunting these days but now having the EQ 800 that could change. When I first got into detecting it was jewellery, coin & relic stuff. I got myself numerous books by the late great Mr Charles Garrett. They were invaluable & I learnt a lot. I am sure the book/books you mention are the same & will help many. Maybe more so being a bit more modern.

Yes, that tip applies to every form of treasure hunting.  Lost items (nor native metals) aren't simply located at random.  The Apollo astronauts weren't likely to find coins on the moon.  (Gold, well, that's a different story, lunarwise.  JW, maybe you ought to take your detectors there....)

I also have many of Charles Garret's books and enjoy them.  They aren't typically as deep as some others (e.g. Clive's and Chris Ralph's) but his enthusiasm and optimism are contageous.

Speaking of Clive's books, I'm working my way through his (obviously new) Eqx book now.  One read won't do it for me, not even close.  But for my needs it's worth the $16 (including shipping) US price.  When I get through the 2nd pass I'll find some time to review, but it's way too early for that.