Short Relic Hunt With The Equinox 800

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks, it was an exciting find for such a stingy site. 

So if you put a customized search mode into your User Profile you can simply push that button to switch to it, check your target, and push it again to return to the previously used search mode?    Sounds like something I need to do, would be easier then slogging through the settings menu. 

HH,
Cal

Yep.  That's exactly how I use it.  Very convenient.  A back button on the menu system would be a welcome add, otherwise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

So if you put a customized search mode into your User Profile you can simply push that button to switch to it, check your target, and push it again to return to the previously used search mode?

(I'll answer although you asked Chase -- hope he doesn't mind me butting it....)  Yes.   To save a profile you need to hold down the profile button for a few seconds.  To recall (return to) the profile you only press and release.  (There is an icon next to the profile button which shows when you are in the profile mode.)  To leave profile you can either press and release the profile button or just press the mode button.  I find the latter easier since all of the side buttons are less convenient than the front face buttons.

Regarding the mystery item, I feel like I should know what it is but so far I've drawn a blank.  Here are some clues (I think):  the threads are short meaning it screwed into something as opposed to going through an unthreaded hole requiring a nut on the backside.  The few number of threads (3) means it was screwed into a metal sheet or block, etc., not wood.  As you noted, the front face is recessed so something was intended to be there and has since been lost or rotted away.  My hunch is that it is not decorative but purely utilitarian.  All of the above is just WAGging, though.  Always fun to figure out these puzzles and hope you get farther than I have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

(I'll answer although you asked Chase -- hope he doesn't mind me butting it....)  Yes.   To save a profile you need to hold down the profile button for a few seconds.  To recall (return to) the profile you only press and release.  (There is an icon next to the profile button which shows when you are in the profile mode.)  To leave profile you can either press and release the profile button or just press the mode button.  I find the latter easier since all of the side buttons are less convenient than the front face buttons.

Regarding the mystery item, I feel like I should know what it is but so far I've drawn a blank.  Here are some clues (I think):  the threads are short meaning it screwed into something as opposed to going through an unthreaded hole requiring a nut on the backside.  The few number of threads (3) means it was screwed into a metal sheet or block, etc., not wood.  As you noted, the front face is recessed so something was intended to be there and has since been lost or rotted away.  My hunch is that it is not decorative but purely utilitarian.  All of the above is just WAGging, though.  Always fun to figure out these puzzles and hope you get farther than I have.

Thanks for the tips,  I'll set this up, might be interesting to see how switching between Field1 and Field2 does. 

Usually when I find these mystery parts, I guess it's some kind of gun related thing, and 9 out of 10 times, it turns out to be true, so I'll guess it's a gun related relic :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Usually when I find these mystery parts, I guess it's some kind of gun related thing, and 9 out of 10 times, it turns out to be true, so I'll guess it's a gun related relic

Don't know much about guns so can't help you there.  After my post I thought about the possibility that it's a cane endcap.  Imagine a manufacturer giving the customer choices on the final endcap.  S/he (manufacturer) could make a (female) brass threaded ferrule that attaches to the wood's butt end and then have options for the finish cap.  The recessed end of your part might have held a semi-precious gem but more likely an inexpensive glass insert.  Just brainstorming....

• Like 1

Well the threaded object has a pipe thread on it and having worked in the process piping industry for 40 years I may  have seen one but if I did it was insignificant so I paid no attention. 

I use profile settings so I can go to them if I try something new that don't work out well. My profile settings are pretty much factory settings that have been tweaked and seem to work best for me..  Storing them in profile makes it easy to go back to what I know best

• Like 1

Beauty of a dime :ohmy: Especially an New Orleans mint!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...