6 minutes ago, Norvic said:

PLA does not handle UV and high temperatures very well, perhaps you could consider PC which doesn`t suffer from UV and is tougher thus you can print with less infill, this would cut weight a fair bit. However PC requires a 3d printer capable of higher printing temperatures.

Don`t give up on your ideas, remember the only people who fail are those who try, they also are the only people who succeed.

I'm looking at buying a starter printer.  Don't laugh at me, but the Anet A8 is the one I'm getting.  Sure it's cheap, and the frame is acrylic, but I have two friends here in Ohio that own the same printer, and have no issue with theirs.  I just can't justify $600 on a printer yet.  This one says it supports ABS, luminescent, nylon PVA, PLA, PP, HIPS, and wood.

Way to go, my 3D printer is a Geeetech  Acrylic which is more basic then the Anet A8, over the years I`ve modded it and it now handles PC, without modding the Anet I suggest you go with ABS, more UV friendly & flexible but a little more difficult to print with then PLA. 3D printing is a mind stimulating hobby that has massive potential, I suspect they will be a common household appliance in the not to distant future.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking of ABS.  I'll start off with some basic stuff, like printer upgrades and so on, which will help me get used to the printer.  Likely going to be buying it tonight.

UPDATE:  So yeah, I bought it last night.  It'll be here next week.  Knowing my time constraints, It'll arrive at my door Tuesday night, and be up and running by Saturday.

Turns out that I don't want to use PLA for this.  ABS is what I want, but my printer doesn't support it.  So to start, I'm going to try to make enough money to afford a printer that can do larger prints, AND support ABS, by creating and selling various 3D printed models on my current printer.  I'll leave my Patreon page up, in case anybody wants to help out that way.

So I'm currently working on a new design that can classify material while maintaining a much smaller footprint.  My idea is that the water pump can be tossed into the water somewhere, run on a battery pack, and pump the water up a hose to the top of the sluice.  When you're done with it, everything should be able to pack back up into itself nearly.  How's that sound?

• 3 months later...