I've Seen A Picture

I just saw a picture of a gold nugget found with an 800 that is a specimen greater than 15 ounces and it has more than 5 ounces.  (I know exact numbers but it is not my nugget.)

This is the largest nugget I've heard about so far.  Has anyone heard of a larger nugget?

Mitchel

Steve,

I mean found with the Equinox 800.  I'm not able to link to post the picture now ... maybe later.

The reason I put it up is to make people think out of the box on where to use the 800.

Mitchel

Now there's a provocative post. Wow...

Interested to hear and see the story.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:44 PM, mn90403 said:

I mean found with the Equinox 800.

Me too - my comment was tongue in cheek. If somebody found a 15 ounce specimen containing five ounces of gold with an Equinox 800 I would not expect anything larger to be found with one anytime soon. Why? Not many in the field yet, and of those a miniscule number are being used to hunt gold nuggets. I am honestly surprised to hear about a specimen / gold nugget found with the Equinox this large and this soon.

• Like 1

I would think any half-way decent detector would have found it, but it's fun that it was an Equinox...

Hi Steve, just musing, not implying I'm stating fact. It will be fun to hear about it.

It would be interesting to hear the details of the find.

I "assumed" that this specimen was found in a trash infested area where the discrimination of iron cancelling could be put to use. I used to hunt an area with large specimen gold, but the discrimination on my "half decent detectors" did not cancel out the signal from iron like these new detectors can do. Some really good patches couldn't be hunted because there was just too much iron to deal with. It would have taken months to clear out a small area.

My eq800 arrived yesterday so I have not had a chance to use it yet, but the Gold Monster can hear good targets among the bad while in discrimination mode. We have found quite a few pieces of gold using this iron canceling discrimination. My White's GMT could not do that and it's considered a half decent detector. My GPX5000 wouldn't be able to be used in some highly trashy areas at all because of the amount of targets would just overload the machine on every swing but there was gold there.

It is neat that this new detector did find a nice large specimen. My comment was directed towards the assumption it was found among iron trash using discrimination. Next time, I won't assume...

• Like 1