I've Seen A Picture

Let me ask Steve this question:

What would an 800 have found for you in Alaska at the time you were using your GB2?

• Like 1

Ok, that is the question.  If you were going through the tailings with a Nox is it still a matter of chance or does it have an advantage?

(The nugget in the picture came from a dredge tailing pile.)

I don’t know Mitchel, I never found a nugget in a tailing pile by chance. Every one took a plan and hard work. Does the Equinox “have an advantage”? How, and compared to what? Compared to my GPZ 7000 with 19” coil the Equinox is far lighter, far less expensive, and has much better discrimination. Yet the GPZ 7000 with 19” coil will punch far deeper. I am going hunting tailing piles tomorrow, which would I use? That depends on many factors, and at the end of the day is purely a judgement call.

Lots of riddles, not many answers. Maybe when you find out more about the specimen that is the subject of this thread it will provide some insight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Lots of riddles, not many answers. Maybe when you find out more about the specimen that is the subject of this thread it will provide some insight.

Speculate what might have been? That’s a tall order for Steve. 

Rich

Well, I heard it said that if you would have gone to Ganes Creek with a 5000 then it would have been 'too much' detector.  I was just wondering if you were going through tailings from a dredge (large nuggets are kicked out) that has a lot of trash is the Nox part of a recipe that will work better than another detector or even a 7000?

Hunting tailing piles boils down to a choice. Do you want maximum depth on large nuggets, or do you want good ferrous handling capability? If you want power/depth and are willing to dig everything to get it, then a PI or GPZ will do the trick. If cans and other large ferrous junk deep in the tailings is an issue, then many good VLF detectors can do the job. I would be more than willing to use an Equinox for the task.

Detecting Gold at Ganes Creek

MXT at Ganes Creek

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hunting tailing piles boils down to a choice. Do you want maximum depth on large nuggets, or do you want good ferrous handling capability? If you want power/depth and are willing to dig everything to get it, then a PI or GPZ will do the trick. If cans and other large ferrous junk deep in the tailings is an issue, then many good VLF detectors can do the job. I would be more than willing to use an Equinox for the task.

Detecting Gold at Ganes Creek

MXT at Ganes Creek

Well Steve I have read all of your links to the gold prospecting of yours in Alaska and I am truly fascinated by your expeditions pulling out the gold nuggets and I was so intrigued I was imagining I was there alongside you.

Your experience in this gold prospecting is very reminiscent to my hoard hunting and ancient artifact hunting here in the UK. Here below is one of my ancient finds which is published in this months Searcher Magazine it is an Iron Age Harness Fitting and this object gives me the same buzz as what you get with your gold nugget finds, this find is the only one of this type ever recorded.

Randy's Iron Age Harness Strap Fitting 200BC - AD200 In Searcher Magazine..jpg

• Like 6

Well done on the find, that is an amazing  piece of history.  I know the buzz that a find of that age gives as I once found an awl from the Great Lakes copper culture period. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Randy Dee said:

Well Steve I have read all of your links to the gold prospecting of yours in Alaska and I am truly fascinated by your expeditions pulling out the gold nuggets and I was so intrigued I was imagining I was there alongside you.

Your experience in this gold prospecting is very reminiscent to my hoard hunting and ancient artifact hunting here in the UK. Here below is one of my ancient finds which is published in this months Searcher Magazine it is an Iron Age Harness Fitting and this object gives me the same buzz as what you get with your gold nugget finds, this find is the only one of this type ever recorded.

Randy's Iron Age Harness Strap Fitting 200BC - AD200 In Searcher Magazine..jpg

The finds you blokes make are truly amazing - thanks for showing that Randy!

My problem in the U.K. was that I often had no idea how good a find was until later when it got identified. No problem there when you dig a big gold nugget up!

post-1-0-00751100-1422989977.jpg

Steve’s 2013 Alaska Gold Adventure

• Like 3