White's Discover Magazine May 2018

Discover Magazine

whites-discover-magazine-may-2018.jpg

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.

Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your free copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.

Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!

Discover Magazine May/June 2018

Discover Magazine March/April 2018

Discover Magazine January/February 2018

Discover Magazine November/December 2017

Discover Magazine September/October 2017

Discover Magazine July/August 2017

Discover Magazine May/June 2017

Discover Magazine March/April 2017

Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,

White's Electronics

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sadly yes, I'm actually concerned for White's.

They had a chance to sell out over a decade ago when the company was in a midst of an internal crisis but let that opportunity sail on by.  Now like Tesoro would anyone even be interested?

16 minutes ago, LowTide said:

They had a chance to sell out over a decade ago when the company was in a midst of an internal crisis but let that opportunity sail on by.  Now like Tesoro would anyone even be interested?

There is probably still some equity in the name they've established, you can only get by squeezing the juice out of that for so long though.

I’m not absolutely sure, but I can’t think of a single case where a still operating US metal detector company has been acquired by another - with one exception - Fisher by First Texas (their acquisition of Teknetics and Bounty Hunter were - I think - just assets of companies no longer actively in business).

In any event, the production facilities - located in Oregon - probably aren’t worth much to a competitor. The current engineering staff is, I suspect not attractive for an “aquihire” - where you buy the company to get the technology and the folks who developed it. Their patent portfolio is large, but only a couple of them are likely of real value as a basis for future products, and even there, it’s not the shortage of good ideas that make us wish for better detectors, its the limits imposed by the realities of running a small business - and all of the manufacturers are small businesses. The realities of limited staff and capital capacity. Even Minelab who boast of the largest technical staff - 30 or so engineers and scientists working on detectors are dwarfed by the resources of large firms.

So, it’s probably “root hog or die”.  the company will have to make something new out of what they have.  Reduced distribution, limited budgets and dim current outlook. We all wish them luck. I have owned many of their detectors and currently have an IDX Pro and an XL Pro and am likely to hold on to them. The XL Pro recently got back from Whites with a couple of new pots and a whole new top deck and meter - beautiful - charge for all that $140!

• Like 2