The Past Couple Of Hunts...

Hi all!

I have been out doing some night hunting the past few nights, as this is the time I have available right now due to my shift schedule!

The first picture (of the UGLY war nickel and the wheat) is from my local park that after too many years of hunting it WAY too much, it's become VERY stingy at giving up good finds.

The second, is from the following night, from a site that was an old golf course.  I've hunted one small part of this site heavily with my Explorer (a sidewalk next to where the pool used to be), as this small section gave up a large number of wheats -- probably about two dozen, but never a silver coin from this part of the site.  However, there are a lot of nails in this little area as well, so I thought that maybe with the Equinox I might be able to scare up another wheatie.  Well, I underestimated the Equinox's ability to find partially masked targets!  Nearly every one of those coins (plus several Memorial pennies not shown) had at LEAST one nail in the hole with them, and the ones that didn't, had nails nearby enough to foul up the signal, to varying degrees.  After several of these digs, the Equinox and I got on the same page, and I became really confident in what I was hearing -- and when it was trying to alert me that there was a coin hidden in the iron.  Let's just say I'm EXTREMELY impressed.  EVERY one of these coins was passed over with the Explorer, multiple times.  To say I am a bit shocked, is an understatement...

Steve

5-13-18Finds.JPG

5-14-18Finds.JPG

• Like 8

Hey Steve, I switched from an Explorer also. I assume the explorer nulled out, or chattered too much in these areas? I am interested in what the tell tale sign on the Nox is with coins in nails. Did you also slow down your swing or keep it fast? 

• Like 1

Geoff --

YES, a lot of nulling with the Explorer (I ran with iron mask set at 22).  The Explorer was able to pull a bunch of wheats out, but it missed ones that were in the more nail-infested part of the area, within a few feet of the sidewalk.

And YES, I slowed my swing speed, even though running a moderate (5) recovery speed on the 800.  I was trying to listen carefully, and a decent-sounding chirp of a high tone, I'd investigate.  If I could isolate something semi-repeatable (especially if I could coax a good two-way hit from even one angle), it was something worth thinking about.  One telltale sign is this -- if you get a high-tone chirp, and you start working it, and you can get decently repeatable 20s numbers, but then as you gradually rotate, those 20s numbers start rising in a small sector, and now you are getting, from a small sector, really high-pitched, high 30s IDs (and then you rotate your body JUST A TAD, and those high 30s go away), those have been iron 100% of the time, for me.  

Anyway, a bunch of these coin digs, after I'd pop the plug, I'd lose them, either in the plug, or in the ground.  Changing the orientation of the coins and the nails, relative to each other, often resulted in complete masking of the coin.  Recoveries were taking much longer than normal, as a result...

Steve

• Like 9

Thanks for the pics and the details of how you pulled those goodies out of the iron.  Which mode(s) were you operating in?

Your pennies come out of the ground pretty clean (discolored, but not scaly).  I wish mine were like that.  It's really interesting how much variation there is in soil conditions throughout the US.  I couldn't read some of the dates+MM's.  Anything exciting?  Two silvers is excellent in my book, regardless.

• Like 2

GB_Amateur --

I was running my normal (thus far) Park 1, sensitivity 21, Recovery Speed 5, iron bias 2, horseshoe button pressed (no disc), 50 tones.

Yes, they usually come out fairly clean here, though there are some places that the old ones can be pretty bad/crusty/scaly.  It IS interesting how different ground affects things.  

No, nothing exciting.  The wheats ranged from 1936 to 1955 (and a 1929-D) on the first night.  Nothing of any special value.  For me, the most "special" part of it was the learning experience I got -- that little section of that old country club site turned out to be like a little "laboratory," in terms of digging partially masked coins.  If you would have told me how many coins I'd recover in that little area, AFTER having pounded it with the Explorer, I'd have told you "no way."  Priceless experience, for me, in terms of moving along the learning curve...

Steve

• Like 3

Thank you, sir!

Steve